Which would you be more likely to visit?

If someone advertised a yard sale on craigslist would you think about going to it?

If I have signs up by the highway (only a speed limit of 45, but thought about putting signs up before the turn onto the road I live off of) to let you know it was coming up.
If you had to drive (exactly - I measured it, lol) one mile from the highway to the actual home where the sale was would you visit it?

*OR*

There is a location I can possibly get permission to use that is only half a mile from the highway in an old parking lot that is for sale.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 9:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Shopping

• I've gone to yard sales listed on craigslist, even as far as 20 miles from my home if they list things that are higher priced items I'm looking for (like strollers, baby swings, toys). I wouldn't do the highway thing, but craigslist sign, a classified ad in the paper and signs on the corner of your street and nearby streets should be fine.

Of course it also depends where you live, here in WNY (Buffalo area) garage sale season is over so there wouldn't be as many people looking for ads wanting to come.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't personally go out of my way for any yard sale, esp way off the beaten path.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• no..but then, i don't go to yardsales on my own street. i'd think yard-salers would hit them all up, if it was in their known route. i've known people to 'plan' their yard sales for 2-3hrs worth of visiting various ones that are advertised.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well unless it's a bunch of people renting a space and renting tables i've never heard of someone on their own setting up a yard sale anywhere other than their home. And it wasn't so much being in a city that I meant as far as off season, but climate. Cold months = NO yard sales, yard sale season is like June-August here.

Large items for sale I'd list on craigslist first
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Personally you should advertise in the paper, that's where the real garage sale goers look.
    To answer your question though, you should do it at your home. People will drive virtually any distance to get to a sale.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Personally I think your home is a better idea. I never stop at the roadside sales, but will go out of my way a bit for a garage sale. Plus you really don't want to lug all your stuff out there and then if it doesn't sell, lug it home.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:27 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I live in a semi-rural area. I live close to the actual city area where many people work and the road I live off of is the main street in town. But it is also a smaller area so it isn't like NY or Atlanta or anything... people do yard sales year round and visit them year round. :)

I'm worried about doing it away from m home because I have quite a few bigger items like the baby swing, a washer and dryer set, an excersaucer, etc.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 9:28 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• These wierdo's in my area still go to them... and I'm willing to freeze my butt off to get rid of this junk, lol. About the only time they don't around here is when it snows or ice is on the ground! :)
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2010