Compromise or no?

WASHINGTON – Fervent tea party Republicans are headed to Congress carrying ambitious promises to overhaul taxes, spending and health care, with activists pressuring them to buck their own party if necessary to achieve their goals. "They are not in a mood for compromise," said Tea Party Patriots co-founder Mark Meckler.

The activists promised to keep up the pressure on their favored lawmakers to fight a Washington establishment they say is broken and doesn't work for the best interests of the American people. That could make trouble for congressional leaders who need compromise and dealmaking to get any work done.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Compromise is what is needed. They are going in with the mind set that "It's us against them" and that can't work. Last night on the news I heard them say that this happened to President Clinton in 1994 (Republican House) and they were able to work together for the good of the US. That should happen now.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:22 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Didn't you ask this question yesterday?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I never expected Obama to clean anything up. The fact that his spending is out of control doesn't help our country when we are already broke. I am a moderate (everything a conservative republican despises), but I expect our government to be fiscally conservative. They are spending tax payer money. When they do so carelessly they are showing me that they don't really care what I (and those that think similarly) want. I was disenchanted with Bush's spending habits as well. Continuing failed fiscal policies only digs us deeper in the hole. Why expect different results when the spending has got us into a heap of trouble already? It's insanity.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• The gop just wanted to "win" they're not about to reach across the aisle and compromise... I see a lot of wheels turning backwards and NOTHING getting accomplished... They just have a "gotta take over mentality". They do not know how to move our country in the right direction, it's all about going ass-backwards. Their bitterness is just not my cup of tea. Welcome to the gop, the party that only works for big corporations, banks and the insurance industry, NOT the people.

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 11:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• It's a wait and see. First we have to wait until they are even sworn in. Right now it's all a bunch of chatter that really only lends itself to speculation. This would be a question better asked after they are able to start their jobs.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Tea party does not speak for me. I see nothing but bad coming from them. 32% were elected. I can't believe that the American people voted for them. Why? If they do not compromise, nothing will get done. All parties have their positives that they can bring to the table. Despite what the Fox news tells you...liberals are not the enemy here. Our country is splitting apart and no one seems to notice or care. Everyone is too busy being a right fighter and splitting everyone up into political parties and ideologies.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• LOL Taranee. What many do not understand is the "knee-jerk" voter. The group of people who are never satisfied because they rely on the Nanny government to meet all of their needs. This group will expect the government to fix all that ails and throw in a free bag of warm doughnut holes too. The complaining will start within 3 mos of the newly elected taking office. I'll silently smile and maybe LOL within my own home, but as an adult with fairly decent coping skills, I will refrain from acting like a toddler in a full blown, perpetual tantrum, everyday, for the unforeseeable future. The newly elected will compromis, it's part of the game. NO ONE wants to be affected by the unpalatable, real solutions. Complain, play lip service, vote angry, sure.............suffer, suck it up, pay even MORE for less, NO!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:09 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Most Americans certainly do NOT like the heavy spending..NOR do they want a proressive,socialist agenda

Most Americans do not think that deeply. Most Americans are worried about themselves, their pocketbook, and getting the most (of everything) for less. Tuesday vote was an angry vote. Many people in this country are hurting, and they want SOMEONE/ANYONE to fix THEIR problems quickly and without pain or suffering. IF a socialist agenda, heavy on spending were the easy cure, made jobs plentiful and put a new car in every garage and a chicken in every pot in America, that agenda WOULD please MOST Americans. More for less and with little, physical or mental output-that's what MOST Americans want, IMO. Not everyone in America thinks the same way.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• A socialist agenda heavy on spending isnt a cure period...

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Welcome to the gop, the party that only works for big corporations, banks and the insurance industry, NOT the people.

Not to mention the #s in Congress who belong to/ have ties to BB, banks, and the insurance industry. They legislate to their own PBs.    Getting more by expending the least amount of effort and energy (aka- WORK)- TN- tunnel vision makes one miss many really important and significant views.

Every coin has 2 DIFFERENT sides.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2010