School stops all pledges. Do schools have more important things to worry about?

My children's school no longer says the pledge of allegiance, instead they replaced it with a verse from the Star Spangled Banner that the kids sing. I think this is a good compromise.

The children used to also recite a student pledge where they promised to work hard and respect themselves and others. The school stopped this too, and have replaced it with a song the kids sing about their school and working hard, etc.... In the song the words " I pledge" are not used.

It's fine with me but I think it's a little silly and unnecessary. My son hates it but my daughter seems to like it.

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's a good compromise.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I refused to say any pledge while I was in school. I think this is a good option instead.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:26 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i don't think its something anyone would miss, personally. Not saying its not good to be patriotic, but not even government employees or military have to say the pledge every morning. Only kids.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm Canadian, we don't have a pledge but schools sing or listen to the national anthem every morning.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Our schools still say it, but you can opt your child out if it offends you that much. i haven't sent in official notice for my kids to opt out, but tell them if they don't want to recite it then don't. Just please be respectful of those who do.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the down vote Zoey!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:39 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would prefer this option to having to pledge something, but I still wonder how necessary it is, especially if its found in the higher levels, like high school.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Our schools still do the pledge, but I never said it as a child, I was always told not to when I was young and was just in the habit of not saying it when I was older... Now, I don't see it as a big deal. Children, IMO, are to young to really have any idea about the seriousness of taking a Pledge, and it looses it's meaning by the time they are old enough to understand it. I don't know why they can't just ring in the morning with a bell or the "daily announcements" and skip everything else...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• ALL the schools in my district say the PLEDGE everyday, they kids are also taught what the Pledge means, phrase by phrase, word by word. If someone doesn't want to say the Pledge, then stand there quietly while the rest of us RESPECT our country.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Yes, the schools have better things to do-but sometimes adults don't understand this so they apply pressure to get what they believe to be right in to the schools.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2010