Why don't you use a car seat? Or have straps way to loose?

I keep seeing people who strap their kids into car seats tightly, just sitting the infant carrier on the seat without base, or no car seat at all. Why?

This isn't a vent, I really want to know the motivation.

LovemyQ

Asked by LovemyQ at 9:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, you don't actually need a base; you can run the seatbelt across the carseat to tether it into place.

Anyone who doesn't use a car seat at all is a moron.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• agrees with Make...plus a measure of lazy or "won't happen to me" attitude.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I see people not strapping their kids in tight at all and it drives me nuts. HOw do they think that is going to keep them safe. But a car seat is just as safe without a base...
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• If they don't use a car seat for a BABY, then they should be reported to the police and CPS. But many infant carriers have slots built into the carrier so you can use the base OR put the seatbelt into the slots.....we would do that when my dad would take us anywhere in his vam, since the base was in our car.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• You have actually seen someone NOT use a car seat at all?? That's illegal here. Crazy!! When my daughter was born I didn't use the base very much..but it wasn't a MUST DO back then either. She was strapped tightly into the seat and her seat was strapped tightly with the seat belt. I didn't see how only strapping in the base and then clicking the carseat in was any different. But now there are laws that you HAVE to use the base so I used it with my son.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My attitude when it comes to car-seats is 'no seat, the child doesn't get in the car'. Simple as that.
    Creating78

Answer by Creating78 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• umm no car seat is aboulutely crazy. A base doesnt make a carseat safer, just easier. You can strap just the carseat in. and I dont see what your problem is with strapping a child in tightly. Too much isnt good, but its better than too loose!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• OP here. Yes, I have seen kids in NO car seat AT ALL. That is crazy to me. It is very hard to get the infant carrier adjusted properly without the base and I don't believe every person I see is taking the time to adjust properly.

I like when they are strapped in tightly, don't like loose straps. I made a typo! Going to fix it now.
    LovemyQ

Comment by LovemyQ (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• "My attitude when it comes to car-seats is 'no seat, the child doesn't get in the car'. Simple as that"

Surely you weren't serious.. right? lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• ARGH! I can't edit. I meant DON"T HAVE STRAPS TOO LOOSE!
    LovemyQ

Comment by LovemyQ (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2010