Does anybody know how DSS works?

Me and my husband dont get along with his family...we cut our ties with them and we dont want our kids near them ....so they first said that they were going to get grandparent rights and then they found out that they had no rights and now they are threathen that there going to call DSS on us and tell them that I beat my kids..Which so many people know that is not true.But my oldest daughter that is 9yr. here them say that all the time and now she is afraid that her and her sisters will be taking away from me and there dad my husband.I keep telling her not to worry bc mommy does not beat them I dont even really spank.I do yell.But I do punish them....I just wanted to know if they know how DSS works or if I should call them my self or do I just leave it alone...I know I'm a good mom...I'm not the best mom in the world...No one is

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• just leave it alone. If there is nothing to worry about then dss, if called, would see that.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Leave it alone. IF DSS even comes out for a call like that, they will look around your house to see that it is clean, there are enough clothes, food, etc. They will talk to you, your husband and kids and then the case will be closed. If the grandparents keep calling, they can be charged with filing false reports. I would also let the school and kids doctors know what is going on. The school can watch your kids for emotional issues from the stress and the doctor can document that you do not abuse your children. Good luck!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Spanking is OK in the eyes of DSS.

DSS deals with a lot of fake phone calls. Couples do it to each other when getting seperated, for revenge, people fight over kids all the time. My ex's ex wife called DSS on me when i was married to my ex, she said the same thing...that i beat the kids. Gosh...she just embarrassed herself so badly! I am an anti-spanker, so that was just a ridiculous claim. Let her call them. They will do nothing. They might come out to your house, realize that it's a waiste of their time & leavr & never come back. That's what happened to me. Explain to them the history with that family. Let them know that you cut contact with them & they are trying to get revenge. Don't be scared! You have to be a TERRIBLE mother to get your kids taken away. I highly doubt you smoke crack, beat your kids, or leave them alone in the home for hours on end. Don't worry about a thing!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:44 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• What rotten people! Cut them off ASAP. As for DSS, I think you have nothing to worry about really. They will see for themselves, if they are ever called, that the allegations are false.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:45 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• sorry about my typo's, i got a kitten walking all over my keyboard...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:46 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• If they do make a complaint I think they will have to investigate, but if you're doing nothing wrong there is nothing to worry about. We dealt with them for a short period of time when we had custody of a relatives child. They are reasonable people. And if the relatives call too much with unfounded claims they'll be the ones to get in trouble, not you. I wouldn't sweat it. And they are sadly mistaken if they think they will place the children with them if they remove them, that's not how it works!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• They won't do anything, they see through people like that all the time. Worse case scenerio, they visit your house, see nothing is wrong and then your in-laws get in trouble.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Cut these people off ASAP. You don't need the stress. DSS is used to this stuff. They are required to investigate any complaints, but thye'll see nothing is wrong.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Cut them out completely. Dont even respond to their calls or anything. If they would do that to, not only you, BUT YOUR KIDS, they are selfish immature people.. "if we can have them, no one will..." mentality.
    And if DSS comes out, just be honest and talk to them. Let them ask whatever they want, and conduct an investigation if they want. And when it is all over, tell DSS about the situation with your "family". Then, they already know to watch out for fraudulent calls.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• there really is nothing they can do.... and they need to get over that fact... they lost there son they shouldn't make it worse then it needs to be.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2010