Are you going to stock up on underwear and socks?

Rising cotton prices will cause a significant increase in the cost of clothing this next year. Hanesbrand along with others has announced increases as much as 10%.

The price of benchmark cotton is now up 80% from where it was a year ago. Raising prices is now a necessity.

How will this affect your shopping/what you wear?

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 9:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• HA!! I posted something about this almost 2 years ago. Investing in cotton research and alternative clothing was my response to the problem. I bought underclothing items made out of soda bottles that are guaranteed to last forever. The socks my son wears to football for the last couple years literally still look and feel like new.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• By next year EVERYTHING will be rising in cost
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:12 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• no..I think we'll be OK,...we survived the rise in cost of milk and other groceries & gas in 2008..we can survive the underpanties inflation

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I am sure WM will find a cheap supply ( probably heard JJB warning years ago and immediately enticed their Chinese farmers to plant additional crops) and undercut all other retailers. Americans will run in tidal wave fashion to scoop up the cheaper goods, in bulk.........some will get trampled in the process.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• More people should listen to me, but it's ok that they don't. I can't help it my crystal ball works better than others'. teehee
    If people had understood my post on that, and did what I did,not only would they have drawers full of cotton alternatives that don't wear out but they would have a nest egg with a return of about 21%. Too bad, so sad.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:47 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Maybe I will boycott underwear.

I live in TX, I can wear cute sandals and flip flops even in our coldest weather.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:04 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• This will not affect me in the least.

Answer by older at 10:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the warning! I tend to buy items in bulk at the end of season when they are on clearance. I've always favored v-neck tshirts and jeans, and I tend to run around the house in yoga pants now, because I don't have time for an extended work out most days, so I do six or seven small ones as the kids will let me. Cotton is a HUGE part of what I own, and what I buy. (although some of the newer bamboo fabrics are really nice!).
    I'll be researching this to keep my costs in line.
    Like everyone else, we survived the ethanol effect and the recession, and we did that with almost NO money coming in, so I am sure we will make this, too, but I don't like my kids to wear shoddy clothing. I do repair clothes that I would have thrown away when I was younger.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:46 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• With 3 big guys in the house... I always have extra packs of underware & socks...Ahhh How can I forget undershirts!!
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm sure it won't affect my purchases.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2010