How would you handle this?

I have a neighbor who has two kids who are 9 and 7. My kids are 9 and 5. I always seem to have to take my neighbor's kids along whenever we go anywhere (library, park, even scouts). My question is why can't their mother take them places. I feel sorry for them but she is getting a free sitter out of the deal. How would you bring this up to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is a hard one because:
    1. I don't know that mother
    2. I think a lot of details are missing from this
    3. Why do you "have" to take THEIR kids with you? WHO says YOU have to?

Sorry, it's just a little hard to be helpful when I'm so clueless here. However, just going off what you've said... personally, I would simply tell them I can no longer do this and then I wouldn't. Good luck to you!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i would just stop letting her kids tag along. you're not the babysitter, and she's either taking advantage of you, or thinks nothing of it, as you haven't set her straight.
    tell her you no longer feel comfortable doing this, and she is welcome to come along AND bring her kids, but otherwise, you are not a babysitter.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Do you mean her taking your kids? I don't very often take others children places. My main reason is I'm already taking 5. I don't need to add others. Maybe she thinks you are offering. Maybe you should tell her you will take here on this day if she will take there on this day. Communication is key.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:43 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• You don't have to do it. You choose to. If you don't want to, just come out and say so. Don't be afraid to express your feelings to her. Just try to do it in a nice manner.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• well the next time you take them to scouts for example. just say something like - okay i'll take the kids this week and you get to take them next week - ok? .... as long as you dont have an attitude when you say it.. it should be fine or she will tell you why she cant do it. and if she cant do it - she could pay you the gas money.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Who says you have to take them anywhere?

I've never felt obligated to take the neighbors kids with us when we go places.  If my kids are playing with them and we have to leave then the neighbor kids have to go home.  I also don't expect the neighbors to do things with my kids.  I've never asked anyone to take my kids anywhere.  If they are playing at a neighbor's house and those people have to leave I expect my kids to be sent home.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• you dont know why she doesnt! Seems like you need to step off your high horse!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2010