Do know of some children's books with good principles &/or spirituality?

I just got my son the book "the mouse & the buddha" from a museum gift shop yesterday (regrettably since it's used on amazon starting at a penny). We all love it, including my SO, which is not small feat.

I would love to find similar books with prominent figures in other religions that similarly have wisdom to share minus any doctrine or worship. Does anyone know any?

***If you're not familar, the book is about a mouse that eats offerings made to a large gold Buddha at night. It is not described as offerings, just a feast. While the mouse eats the Buddha shares his wisdom with him "be kind to others" "we all live under the same sun" etc. The mouse goes on to live his life based on those principles & doesn't forget the most important to "love one another".***

Thanks!

.

BubbaLuva

Asked by BubbaLuva at 10:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We have Zen Ties by Jon J Muth, Moody Cow Meditates by Kerry Lee MacLean, and Buddha at Bedtime by Dharmachari Nagaraja. I'll probably look into more books as he gets older, but these were gifts we've received so far. Except Moody Cow Meditates was something we bought, because I thought it might help him learn to calm himself down when he's frustrated with something. I also have a book of children's Bible stories from when I was a child, so we may look at that as well. If your local libraries have Friends of the Library book sales, check them out. We've have some good luck finding kids' books (sometimes even out of print or hard to find books) at them.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Aesop's fables?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:54 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Okay, I guess I don't. I only have feminist fairy tales. Sorry! If I find any I will PM you.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I added that book to my Amazon wish list. Anyway, when you do that it will give you recommendations of books like it. Maybe you can try that (if you haven't already) and see if any books there are what you're looking for? They have "Favorite Folktales from around the World" which might be good.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Our kids love mythology... We got them a copy of The "My Book Of Bible Stories" (which is awesome for Christian myths), then they have D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myth & D'Aulaires Book of Norse Myth... They are really awesome!

Personally I believe there is a reason these stories have been around for thousands of years, and I couldn't imagine not exposing my kids to them!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• The Moon Shines Down.Margaret Wise Brown
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We already read some aesop's fables but, I'm hoping to find books with Jesus, Muhammad, Moses, etc. I'd like him to use them to expose him to different figures so he can learn the similarities rather than the differences.
    BubbaLuva

Comment by BubbaLuva (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I think I have some of those saved on my Amazon wish list. Hold on a sec and I'll find the titles.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thanks so, far. Lol, i just saw I left the word "you" out of my title...duh
    BubbaLuva

Comment by BubbaLuva (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We always liked the Veggie Tales books, although I don't think they are quite what you are looking for.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2010