Should marijuana be legalized?

Being a mother of two i will say that i DO NOT use marijuana in any way but i was watching a documentary on this issue on the history channel last night and many people gave their opinions and why. It is just a curious subject, and i want to better know if my children will get the option when they grow up to use this drug. Thanks

19withtwins

Asked by 19withtwins at 11:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Health

• may as well be, being illegal has never stopped people from getting it and using it. At least the govt could regulate it and maybe make some revenue on it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• yes! medicinal marijuana has been shown to be very beneficial.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Your kids will have the option to use or not even if it is not legalized. Recently I have read so many more damaging things about alcohol, that weed seems innocent in comparison, and yet it is legally there for all to kill themselves with.............

Answer by older at 11:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Yes.
    -It is scientifically proven to be safer than alcohol, so if alcohol is legal, there's no reason marijuana shouldn't be.
    -Regulating it will help keep it out of the hands of children (they can get marijuana more easily than alcohol right now).
    -Taxing it would bring in revenue.
    -Legalizing it would cut the 80 billion dollars/year we spend on the failed drug war.
    SotilSol

Answer by SotilSol at 11:05 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Yes...now let me explain before you get angry. I think that it should be legalized an then the government should tax it just like liquor and tobacco. We seem to have proven that most pot smokers are not going to stop smoking regardless of the trouble they can get into, so why not tax it and let the pot heads pull us a lil bit out of debt.
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 11:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• That' what I never understood about counties being "dry." They are going to go where ever they have to to get it. Atlleast let the counties go wet and get the money from it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• yes, I think so, doesnt mean I use it. It would do wonders for our economy. Also I was watching on Youtube that Hemp oil has actually cured cancer! Just go on there and youtube it! The guy had skin cancer and his doc gave him a cream that was actually chemotherapy lotion and he googled it to see what it does, didnt like the result and then found out about the hemp oil. He put it on the areas of skin cancer and in 3 weeks it was gone. his doc did test and he was completely cancer free! He even made the oil and gave it away for free to people who needed it until the government came in and shut him down. didnt arrest him, just took his plants and gear so he could do it anymore!!! How CRAZY!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• YES! I don't believe we should illegalize the use of ANY natural substance... ALL of these so called "drugs" come with natural and much healthier medicinal uses than today's "medicines" do. Not to mention they are PLANTS, seriously, we aren't talking about deadly chemicals, we aren't talking about bio-engineered whatever... We are talking about a PLANT... Now, I don't use it, I have, I didn't like it, but the point is that whether I like it or not, it's not up to me what others do, and those who want or need it for medicinal uses shouldn't be denied simply because others do enjoy it. Legalizing it has ONLY benefits - Keeping it illegal isn't stopping anyone from using it for fun, it's only stopping those that could use it for medicinal reasons...

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I think so, and most posters above me listed the reasons why I think it should be legalized. On top of the 'flower' being used, hemp is also great for other uses (paper, paper bags in grocery stores, amongst other items) and that could help save some trees.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Legalizing it allows us to have the option for medicinal uses, provides more tax money (remember that deficit), and it even has benefits for those who are going to use it for recreational uses because they would have the option of using it without going through a dealer, they would have the option of staying legal, and they would not have the fears about using it and being arrested... People tend to think of Pot as a "gateway" but in reality the drug itself is not the gateway, it's the act of buying it. Once people are in contact with these dealers, it's the dealer who is pushing for heavier things and in some cases spiking the pot with other drugs in an effort to make themselves more money in the long run... If we regulate the use by legalizing it, everyone has an advantage.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2010