Does your DH or So help with household chores?

Do you think it makes a difference if mom is a stay-at-home or workd outside the home?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 11:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• He does help out now that I work the 3-11pm shift.. he and my 14 yr old son have even pooled their talents to make dinner for themselves. It is awesome on the nights I am home because they act like they are getting royal treatment. I did have to learn that they were not going to clean the way I clean (had to do many deep breathing exercises over the bathroom), but it serves well enough until my days off when I can go back and re-clean. I am thankful they even attempt. It has brought them closer together (although I am afraid they may actually share 1 brain haha) and I have learned to not sweat the small stuff so much.

Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 9:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• all the time. I'm not a maid. We don't do gender roles, which has been a great influence on our kids.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I WISH! we have our roles in the household: he's the money maker, i'm the homemaker, but that doesnt mean he doesnt need to clean up after himself. Unfortunately he doesnt. I do the dishes, I clean the kitchen, I vacuum and clean the rest of the house, I clean and fold the laundry. he does do the yardwork, and he will do loads of laundry for his own clothes...thats about it. Because its all on me the house isnt as nice as it could be.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• cooking sometimes
    sweeping once in a blue moon
    dusitng once a year?
    that is it....
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• yes
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 11:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• not unless i tell him to. and yes, i said 'tell', not 'ask'. i've been a sahm since june, and worked fulltime before that. when we both worked, the household/child duties were split. now that i'm a sahm, he has maybe run the dishwasher 5x..oh wait, i hinted strongly that the ceiling fans needed to be dusted, as i was looking up at the one in the living room..there are four total in this rent house, and only the fan in the living room got dusted. :/
    do i begrudge it? yes, and no. i'm here all day, ds is in school, so what else do i have to do but clean? here's where it gets testy: at night, when he's home, and say, the ds needs to take a bath or get into bed or the dog needs to be watered/fed again...he does not see it. he's already so accustomed to me doing it all, he literally does not see what needs to be done..unless i TELL him.
    i sit down after making dinner/cleaning the kitchen, and what does he say? 'rub my back, hon.'
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• sometimes not very often anymoire
    djgagemommy

Answer by djgagemommy at 11:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My husband is the only one that works, he does a lot around our house, he cleans, he vacuums, he does the lawn and he also does windows!! the one thing he does not do only because he does not like it or can is cooking.

Answer by older at 11:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I am a sahm. He doesn't do anything, but sometimes I feel since I don't work it's only fair. I have talked to him about it though. We have two boys and he is not setting a good example. I have had talks with them telling them it's not right for the women to do "everything" Just hope it sinks in.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I do everything around the house. I look at it as my job. I'm old fashioned! I am the stay at home mom and he is the money maker. He doesn't expect me to go out and work outside the home. The home and kids are my career. I don't see why I can't get everything done around here if I'm here all day and I take pride in my home. I think I would feel really lazy if I did expect him to do my jobs. He also goes to school part time now so he is not only working but doing school stuff as well. I will say he does take care of our cars, the trash, and all outside work though. I like the way things are....like I said...I'm old fashioned. We are partners and we both contribute to our home in different ways and it just works. :-)
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2010