What do you save on and what are your tricks? Do you know of a really good savings website?

I price match my groceries so I save alot. Have to get better about combining it with coupons though.

ChicaThis

Asked by ChicaThis at 11:05 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• I belong to a newe Cafemom group called Frugalistas, you should join.

Not only to I save on groceries buy growing what I can, buying local and Aldi's but I make my own all natural healthy cleaners, detergents, shampoos, soaps, lotions, dish washer detergent, we buy used clothes at thrift stores, yard sales and ebay. I started using cut up cloths for baby wipes and paper towels.

We repurpose what we can and have a compost pile, we have a wood burning fireplace so our furnase doesn't kick on much, we caulk the windows and doorways, plastic the patio doors and older windows, turn off power strips at night for computers, tv's, chargers and such, I hang laundry on the lines.....hang lines in the laundry room during cold months and hang them there. I don't leave the TV on for background noise.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• 30% easy just by buying the generic brand on most of my products. Huge savings and the only thing I'm missing is the pretty packages. lol
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 11:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I know this sounds cheesy but I buy all name brand soap at first like dish soap ,hand soap etc then I buy one large one dollar bottle of soap and refill them all ....I do the same thing with baby wipes I bought the kandoo holder and now I just buy the store brand flush able wipes and I fell better saving money and looking like I spent it !I never by anything name brand unless there aren't any store brand items left! I only spend fifty dollars a week on groceries ,hygiene and paper products, sometimes I only spend thirty !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Take advantage of sales and use coupons. Don't buy anything you don't need just because it's on sale. Stay away from generic paper products. You get less and you'll use more because its of inferior quality. Pay attention to how much you're paying per pound or onze.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I buy generics and take cash to the grocery instead of my debit card. So I have to stay under a certain amount... I find that when I take my debit card I am like oh 4 more dollars is no big deal, etc... I need to clip coupons... Also, I got to the deli and fresh food markets at the end of the day RIGHT BEFORE closing... they can't keep any of the products and just have to throw it away so they mark it down 80 or more... I can go and get 5 lbs of deli meat that eveeryone all day spend 5 and 6 dollars a pound for like $2.00... i take it home and freeze it immediately and it keeps just fine... When there are sales on meats for holidays etc, I buy in bulk, cut sepearate for meals and freeze,etc.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i shop at aldies alot, but still have a hard time saving too..some of the name brands are too hard to pass up
    djgagemommy

Answer by djgagemommy at 11:09 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• www.savingwithshellie.com
    www.southernsavers.com

Those are two I recently started with and have heard great savings stories. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My boss clips her coupons and then brings us her papers every week, then we get what we want and pass them on.

I got a coupon from there and from www.kroger.com for my local Kroger grocery store and ended up paying only $4.75 for a pack of 24 rolls toilet paper from Charmin last week. :)

Caught it on sale for $8.25, used my $3 off e-coupon from kroger.com, also used my 25 cents off coupon from the newspaper and they double smaller coupons so I got it for $4.75. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• When I do grocery shopping, nearly everything I buy is the store brand. On top of that, I'm a coupon clipper. If I use it regularly, I clip the coupon. If not, then I clip it anyway and stick with the items as I find them in the store, as a way to help others save money.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Good ideas moms, keep em coming!
    ChicaThis

Comment by ChicaThis (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2010