heart beat at 6 wks preggo?

hello ladies im 6 wks preg just found out on friday I have a prenatal heart listener and ive been trying to use it but i hear lots of different noises lol can i hear a heart beat at 6 wks? do these machines really work and what exactly should i be hearing? thanks any advise would be great :-)

bxmommy2be

Asked by bxmommy2be at 11:07 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't think you can hear it yet, but you can see it on an ultrasound. I think I was at my 3 month appointment before I heard it on the doppler. Also keep in mind his heart beat is SUPER fast and you may not know what to listen for yet. The first time I heard my baby it kind of freaked me out..lol 150BPM sounds way different than 80
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Not yet, and not with the ones you buy at the store,, about 10-12 weeks you should be able to! Congrats!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• you can see it on US at 8 weeks you can hear it by 10-12 weeks with doppler and with a stethoscope by week 18
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• CONGRATS!!!!! I'm 5 1/2 weeks :) My doc said they'd try to hear the heartbeat at my 10week appt and even then, it may not be clear enough for us to hear it. Basically, you should be able to hear it between 10 and 11weeks but I doubt if the ones you buy at the store are as good as the ones at the doc office so it may take longer to hear it on them.
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 11:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• my first appt. was at 6 wks and the dr heard the babys hb but that doesnt mean everyone will be able too. maybe i just got lucky. good luck to you
    kimber76_2000

Answer by kimber76_2000 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• It's hard to hear a fetal heartbeat at 6 weeks unless using an internal device. You can SEE the heartbeat fairly easily at 6 weeks, but hearing it is another story. And they sound pretty much like our heartbeat. Only faster and clearer.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My doctor said you wouldn't be able to hear the heartbeat til 12 weeks on the moniter they have in the doc. office. With my first pregnancy i had a home fetal heartbeat moniter and could barely hear anything at 26 weeks.
    bcbmami

Answer by bcbmami at 5:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010