i know im wrong, but i would like to know if someone can explain the logic behind this

so this month my daughter's school has the whole week of thanksgiving off. when i paid tuition for the month, i excluded paying for that week. if nobody's going to be there, including teachers, why am i going to pay for a week of her sitting at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2010 in

• I don't think you should pay either! And personally I'd be pissed if they tried to charge me!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I see the logic in that. It's one thing if YOU go on vacation, you need to pay tuition to hold your childs spot... but if the school closes for the week I don't see why you should pay.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I think its because the teachers get vacation pay and the building still has to make a mortgage payment and the electric still has to be paid. My dd goes to private school and we pay a flat rate for the month no mattter how many days they go. It's monthly tuition not childcare.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Did you sign a contract? I'm sure it says what days are paid holidays on the contract.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• They should have informed you of this policy beforehand.

Answer by older at 11:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• thank you! that's $110 right there that im not willing to just fork over for nothing. they want me to pay it but im disputing it i think its ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well just like any job, they should get vacation pay, I know it seems silly to do it, but I am sure you probably have a contract that states this somewhere, and if not, you should get one ASAP for your own protection as well, what if they decide after you pay to not keep her there anymore??
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Typically they have a set price of tuition for the entire school year, divide that by however many months they attend school and that is your monthly tuition fee, regardless of how many days they attend each month. I think it is ridiculous too, but unfortunately that is how those things work.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:27 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• PS.. where is school tuition only $110 a week? Is this daycare or private school? I am moving, sign me up!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I bet the tuition guidelines are outlined in your contract.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2010