My 22 day old daughter spits up a pretty good amount everytime i burp her, could this have something to do with the formula i use or is it the way im burping her?

She seems to spit up i would estimate a good 1/2 oz of the 3 oz she is eating everytime.

irelandsmommie

Asked by irelandsmommie at 11:29 AM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• prolly the formula...
    cstashu

Answer by cstashu at 11:32 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Could be the formula or the type of bottle your using to feed her. If she is swallowing too much air, she will burb up a lot. The platex nurser with the little baggies in the bottle that lets you get all the air out helped me allot.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:38 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• It might be the formula. Perhaps you could try burping her more often. Are you doing it in the middle of the bottle as well as at the end? It could also be just that there is a lot of air in her belly and when she burps the air is pushing formula out.

It could also be the bottle or the angle you're feeding her at. I've seen bottles advertised that are supposed to reduce spit up and burps. Less air gets into the bottle so less air gets into the baby's belly.

Or...it could just be that your baby spits up easily. lol Truth be told it could be any number of things or a combination of things.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:40 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Like the other posters said, it could be the formula or bottle. But it could also been acid reflux. My daughter had this and she would spit up so much after every feeding. I tried switching her formula and bottle but nothing helped. I finally asked her doctor and he said it was quite common for young babies to have acid reflux. If this is the case, then there is medicine that can help it. It isn't something she will have to be on forever, my daughter was only on it for 4 months. Most babies 'out grow' acid reflux by their first b-day.
    drgnfly19

Answer by drgnfly19 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I agree with all the oters. Could be the formula, she might need a soy based formula. Could be the bottle, look for the one that have the air vents, also my son did that ALOT when he was a lil one. And I had to switch him to soy, and I had to burp him alot more, baiscally i would feed him a half ounce and burp, and half ounce, then burp, etc. Because if you dont burp more oftem, especially being so little, that gas can just bring alot of what they eat afterwards when you burp
    SavannahMoMHC2

Answer by SavannahMoMHC2 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Try burping after every ounce.... and also the playtex drop in system I would recommend picking one up its worth a try
    I love them
    KatieFlower

Answer by KatieFlower at 12:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I had this problem, along w/ painful gas in my daughter until I discovered Nestle formula's-- it is more expensive - which killed our budget, but it was night and day between formula's. My doctor tried to convince me that all formula's are created equal - and that is so not true. Noticed a difference w/ Nestle Good start in the first 5 feedings. It's worth a shot.
    cjennifer81

Answer by cjennifer81 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• After you consult your pediatrician you could also try the Playtex Ventaire bottles. I swear by them! My first two children projectile vomited after every feeding until I switched them to soy formula. That is what worked for me!!
    mamastefl

Answer by mamastefl at 12:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Burp every ounce. I lay my baby across my lap (head slightly higher than bottom) and do wide circular motions clockwise on his back, and pat every few circles. Like a massage. I expect to see a couple teaspoons of spit up though.
    got2bugs

Answer by got2bugs at 1:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• It could also be that you're trying to feed her too much. Let her tell you when she's done, don't try making her take that last half-ounce or so.
    GothyMama

Answer by GothyMama at 2:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2008