Combating questions that I don't have answers for yet. Help?

So, I'm a soon-to-be mommy of my first child... and the issue I'm having is that I'm only 6 months pregnant and I get questions all the time from both family and friends about situations and problems that I have yet to face, and won't have to for a long while. Questions like what schools I'm looking at, who the Godparents will be, how am I going to handle the baby's father (my X) after the baby is born... the subjects range from mundane to serious types of questions. I answer to the best of my abilities but am often left say 'I honestly don't know yet'... and them I get varied reactions but mostly something along the lines of "Well shouldn't these be the kinds of things you are thinking about?". Yes, I am aware that these decisions need to be made, but how do you make people understand that right now I'm just trying to make sure I get through my pregnancy and have a healthy happy baby? (sorry for the rambling lol)

MommaG0th

Asked by MommaG0th at 12:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• "I'll let you know when I have time to think about things like that. Right now, I'm just concentrating on having a healthy child."
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Your not rambling, I totally understand. Some people can be so overbearing and flat out nosy sometimes. I would just simply tell them that you are taking things one day at a time. Not all decisions need to be made right away. Sounds like your on the right track. Just relax and block these people out
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• lol. You can only think so far ahead! School? who knows were you will be in 5 years? X? Who knows how he will react. Godparents? That is a serious decision that requires a lot of thought and it isn't necessary to know that RIGHT this second. DOn't let it get to you. Your job is to focus on 'now' What do I need to do to get ready for this baby to be comfortable and taken care of. What do I need to do to take care of me as this babies mother. When they ask say. I have given it thought but I have time to consider that some more or I have given that some thought but I am not ready to make that decision right now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I did that too! actually, until I had my baby, I honestly had NO idea what I was gonna do. I like to just go with the flo. :) It worked out just fine too. I screwed up, cried, laughed...all of it. But it worked out.

It's your baby, you'll do what you want, in the end-it's the best choice for ya. Who cares what everybody else says. I would just say, I know what I want, your opinion is welcome, but i'm gonna do what I want.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Just tell them you'll cross that bridge when you come to it, thanks. Keep it simple so as not to engage them in further discussions of things so far down the road, unless they're ideas you WANT to discuss.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I think you have some good suggestions. Other things you can say are, "I'm weighing my options", "I'll have to get back to you on that one", "You'll be the first to know", "I haven't worked out all the details, but I'm definitely thinking about it", "What would you suggest?", "I think I still have some time to think about that", etc..

Even though I was married and not a first time mom I got a lot of those type questions when I was expecting twins. It seemed some people were way too happy to point out all the possible difficulties I'd be facing with two babies.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• ' I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Right now I'm trying to get through pregnancy." It would help if you could vomit on their shoes, but probably not since you are in the second trimester.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Right now, all you need to be thinking about is what you said - having a healthy child. You will cross those bridges when you get there. Lots of things just have a way of working themselves out.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• "One day at a time"
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Tell them that yes you have thought about it, and you would appreciate them not monotoring your thoughts. Let them know that all the questions are quite overwhelming and demeaning and to please stop making sure your thinking about all the right things because it's very rude, and by doing so they are obviously implying that your ignorant or irrisponsible. Sorry about my horrible spelling btw.
    LoveFaithPeace

Answer by LoveFaithPeace at 1:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2010