What are the risks of a water birth??

I was talking to my bf about wanting to a water birth. He agrees that it would be a good idea to try it out. but he also asked, but what happens if you need a C-Section and fast, what if the baby dies cause you couldnt get to the nerest hospital fast enough? Im not saying you shouldn't do it. but with Tristan having cord wrapped twice and my brother as well, could happen to ours. Losing baby will be bad. SOOOO my question is. if he came to where complications arose and I needed surgery fast. what are the chances of getting there on time and does anyone know of anything like that happening and if so, what was done. cause I had Natural vaginal birth the first time, I really really want to try wather birthing.

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 12:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I assume you're talking about a home water birth?
    Statistics actually show that birthing at home with a trained professional is just as safe, if not safer, than birthing at a hospital. The key is to hire a good midwife (check out her references, ask if she will have an assistant present, etc).
    As far as any additional risks a water birth would bring...none. Absolutely none. The only risk that a water birth presents is a water embolism, but it occurs at the same rate as a regular embolism does "on land". There really isn't any added risk to birthing in the water AS LONG AS THERE IS A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL PRESENT!
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Also wanted to say that you could PM if you'd like with any questions. I researched home birth and water birth excessively during my last pregnancy. I actually had a water birth at a birth center. The only reason I didn't have him at home was because of insurance and financial reasons.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• What MommySteph said exactly. LOL And some hospitals will let you water birth. The Midwife I want to use has a Birth center right beside the hospital and you can water birth there and if something SO bad came up that she couldn't deal with, you are right there.

I say google water birth videos and watch them. I have to posted to one question I asked.

http://www.homebirth.net.au/2010/09/homebirth-video-born-in-the-caul.html

http://www.homebirth.net.au/2008/07/twins-homebirth.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I had a home water birth, it was AWESOME! Being in a tub of warm water makes it so much easier!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I cannot think of any risks that are exclusive to water birth. A midwife will always check for a cord around the baby's neck, both in water and on land. A midwife will closely watch you and baby to check for signs that you need a transfer.
    It is highly unlikely that anything bad will happen AT home. Midwives are excellent for spotting trouble early so they can safely get you and baby to the hospital.

I think the statistics say that 95% of homebirths are successul with only 5% needing a transfer. And of those 5%, only about 1/2 are for emergencies. The other half, the mom's just needed rest so they needed an epidural.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thank you ladies :) I mentioned all this to him and he still worrie about the whole, they wont have everything they need and what if's... so maybe a little more convincing is needed... It not like I woud do it if I thought something horrible would happen
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010