Do you think that anything can be justified if it's "cultural"?

This is a spinoff of another question in which a 10-year-old Gypsy girl gave birth and her mother was pleased.

At what point do you think it is another party's (or country's) responsibility to defend someone who can't help themselves from being harmed by cultural practices? (for example FGM)

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 12:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• absolutely not. there are tribes in south america that bury children alive. "cultural" is an excuse gov'ts use when they don't want to get invovled.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• um... in other countries or here? Here you have to abide by the law of the land.

In other countries, we can morally condemn their practices in conversation, but we can't police the entire world.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• You know what, I had a similar argument this morning over ear piercing... Many cultures have practices which we don't tend to agree with in this country. Does that make them wrong though? I don't believe it makes them wrong in the context of that culture... However that doesn't mean it works in OUR culture, just like things we do in our culture don't work in theirs...

I don't necessarily agree with all of these cultural practices or beliefs, but I also don't think it's out place to decide what is and isn't best for others, especially other cultures as a whole... IF they WANT to change things or are seeking help, I don't see an issue with helping them do that, but I don't think it's up to us to decide what is right or wrong for other cultures simply because WE don't like it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• That is a truly horrendous story that I had not heard before. It upsets me to think about what that young girl went through. But what can anybody else do? Who could really step in and do anything? I don't think anybody would ever have the right to stop things like this from happening. The United States can not be in charge of everything, it doesn't work like that. We can't walk into another country, or find other cultures and tell them how to live. I don't know- this question has me baffled.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i think it depends on whats being justified. honor killings and child brides in no way should be justified as "cultural" but some things like piercings, clothing, or non-life threatening, legal activities are easily justified when one says "its cultural".

this situation is a hard one...if the girl is used to seeing life this way and while to us a 10 yo giving birth is horrific, to her it may not be. its really a matter of asking if the girl feels harmed or if she didnt want to be a mom but was forced to.

but overall...if its not happening in America its not my place to say "oh the govt should do something about that!" i dont like it, i would never wish that on any child...but its not my place to tell them what to do.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Yes, they can - look at all the people who justify mutilating their newborn sons.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Different strokes for different folks - sometimes I don't understand certain cultural practices. But is it mine to question?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I agree with lovinangels
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Nope, just because it is "cultural" does not mean it is right. Child abuse is not "right" in any culture.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• NO NO NO...my fiance's parents claim they have certain rights over us due to culture...even though they're no longer in their country..absolutely not
    MillieJ

Answer by MillieJ at 1:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010