What is a reasonable amount to charge for?

Okay so my younger brother who is 21 years old needs a place to stay. I offered to let him stay in my place but i have two kids and i asked that he help out, money wise. What do you think is a reasonable amount to tell him to give me. Hopefully he does help out because he the type that doesn't like to pay bills and he's always blowing hes money in partying anp petty things. But i couldnt let him out in the streets.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• Is he going to have his own room?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• $300 a month. Put it in writing brother or not. Roomates, family or not, always become a problem.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Is is just for the room or groceries and laundry too? Room only I'd say $200-250. If you have to provide food and stuff I'd add another $100-150 personally :)
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Depends on whether or not he has a job I guess. If he does and he's just blowing his money because he can, I'd say start him off at $200 a month, which is far cheaper than an apartment and then raise it depending on the way he handles it. If he starts helping with the kids, doing stuff around the house, pretty much being useful, you can leave it there but if he does nothing, raise it. I'm 22 so I know at that age if you're not responsible with your money, you need to be taught. My boyfriend taught me money management by loaning me money instead of giving it to me, so I had to learn to stop spending on myself and learn to pay him.
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 1:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Room only, I would say $250. Add an extra $75-$100 for groceries. I can see it becoming a problem whether you get it in writing or not. Family like that tend to take advantage of you. I've seen it happen so many times. Good Luck!!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 1:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would write a Simple Lease up & maybe even have it notarized- just so; everyone knows where they stand- i would ask him for $75 to $100 a week- Wishing you lots of luck:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 1:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Ughhh! That's what i'm afraid of, i know how he is, He's sloppy, doesn't help out, and most of all doesn't like paying he's bills imagine giving me money. Now that i'm thinking it over i regret saying yes. Bc I know what i'm getting myself into. It is gonna become a problem so what to do now. It sucks though i dont want to see him in the street either. I dont know I have enough problems as it is. The only good thing that would come out is that if he would help me out, it would be great financially. But then what if he doesn't and he takes advantage of me and the situation. OMG! I'm gonna drive myself crazy. Thanks for the commnets
    phoenixjuelz

Answer by phoenixjuelz at 1:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Get it in writing. If it doesn't work out atleast you could tell him you tried. 300-350 would be a fair price. Good luck!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• sit down and write it out he will pay 400.00 a month and that should be fair
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would do 300 a month and then if you can, put aside 150 of it into a savings account for him, then when he's ready to move out, he can have money for a down payment on an appartment of his own
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010