Do inmates have the right to practice their religious beliefs?

http://www.indystar.com/article/20101104/NEWS05/11040471/1001/NEWS

Okay, this article really pisses me off... How about if you want to have the right to practice your freedom of religion don't commit a crime or be sent to prison??? I mean seriously it is bad enough that you are a menace to the society that I am trying to raise my family in, but I still have to pay to house, insure, and feed you once you are caught (and justice prevails) but NOW you want me to pay extra so you can get a special meal becuse of your religion???? If you were so religious and righteous we wouldn't even need to have this discussion soooo umm hell no....

lol...sorry girls that's my opinion on things and I needed to get that off my chest... What do you think?

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This from a prison guard...they learn how to work the system. Whatever the prison offers-and it's different in different areas (city, county, or state, and different states have different requirements) If they get time out of their cell to "practice their religion" then they get religion. If they get better meals, same thing. I personally do not believe that taxpayers should have to pay for this.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Of all the things going on in prisons this is what you choose to whine about? Cable TV, free education, unfettered access to drugs, free healthcare, those are all ok. But no way should anyone be allowed a vegetarian or kosher meal (an accomodation that can very easily be adapted to include the entire menu instead of making it an exception rule) , that's absolutely outrageous!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I think they should be able to pratice their religious beliefs, but if it cost extra money then family, friends or themselves to to pay for it, not the tax payers.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 1:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Why the hell not? Christians can read the Bible and attend chapel, why not offer kosher to those who require it?
    Anonymous

• Generally Religion is encouraged for inmates. Those who discover "God," a "Higher Power" or "Find Religion" are more likely to be rehabilitated and have the ability to function once their time is up... Studies have proven it over and over... The same goes for addicts and minor criminals, regardless of the religion or "higher power" which they align with, the recovery rate is nearly 90% higher with those who find something higher to devote themselves to... After being involves with recovery centers and seeing the difference in people there is no doubt there is a difference for me... And being a non-Christian, I don't believe it's up to the "System" to decide which religion or higher power someone should align with - the point is that they do...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would gladly pay a few extra tax dollars for someone to get a special dinner than end up paying for them to be incarcerated again later simply because they didn't find a way to move beyond their "old life." Of course, a dinner doesn't FIX anything, but you can't reach the attic without taking small steps...

Plus, prisons DO pay for Bibles and they pay for a Priest, the church doesn't provide this stuff free of cost! They never have! So while the chapel itself may not cost beyond building it, they do pay to have someone come in each week and bibles and rosaries... The difference is that Christianity is the "norm" and is seen as "what is done" so people simply assume it's to be given, while those who don't hold those beliefs are seen as "extras." They aren't extras, they are rights, you don't loose your rights simply because you screw up.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I read the article, it's not about books, it's about eating Kosher, which Jewish people have to do under the law. Muslims also follow specific food laws. So yes I think these have to be honored. That being said, a few months back I read an article about a guy who claimed to only be able to eat kosher because he was an Orthodox Jew. So they provided the meals. Then they caught him spending his personal money at the canteen or whatever you call it on food that was in no way kosher. They stopped providing him with kosher meals after that.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I believe they should. If anything religion should be encouraged and spirituality nourished. But this is only one of the many proofs that our prison system isn't set up to rehabilitate. If we truly cared about people repenting or being sorry for what they've done, wouldn't we want them to be in touch with the faith that might help in that?

Not just that, though, but I don't agree with criminals losing ALL of their rights. Whatever happened to the word inalienable? If someone is so devout that they require special food, I can't understand denying them that, especially when it is completely unrelated to their being in prison. We wouldn't deny medicine or health care... So we care for the body, why would we refuse to also allow for the care of the soul?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Prison is a place we send people who have harmed others or who just won't follow/obey the laws that other people do. It's 'supposed' to be a place where we send people for punishment.

The basic freedom to live without being confined is already taken away, and that should NOT be mitigated by 'special' treatment. If religion is that important, than follow all of it, not just the diet, and stay OUT of prison. Inmates have the right to pray, access to their holy books, etc. and that should be enough. Society already has to pay for everything else (food, medical, clothing, school) ~ my tax dollars shouldn't have to pay for someone else's god or religious trappings. A prison is public property. If we can't put religious 'anything' on public property that anyone can use, why should we HAVE to pay to put it in a prison?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Felon or not you can't just toss civil liberties out the window.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010