My 18mo old hates having his teeth brushed.

Any idesa to help this not be such a dramatic chore? And how many times a day do yours brush?

CHICK106

Asked by CHICK106 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I brush my 2 year olds twice/day. He loves an electric toothbrush and he likes doing it himself, so he brushes and then I "check" (ie make sure I get all the teeth at least once).

Answer by missanc at 1:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I used to let her brush first while I brushed mine and then I would take a turn and brush.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I let my 19mo DS brush his teeth as many times as he asks during the day! (2, sometimes 3 times a day) I sit him on the big potty and give him his toothbrush so he has more than one thing to focus on. I also use the Colgate training toothpaste, and he loves it. I brush mine while he's doing his, and when he's done chewing on it, I "help him." by holding the toothbrush in his hand and giving them a quick go-over.

Then we get up and get his Flintstone vitamin.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We are only doing it once a day right now and working on 2 times a day...DS hates it if we are brushing his teeth for him he has to do it himself. So as me and DH are brushing our teeth then he will brush his own...and do a good job as well lol. By the way my son is 17 months and has been doing this for a few weeks.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My girls love the electic toothbrushes. but they also have the new ones out that lights up or with stickers to decorate their own. It has been 4 years and we will do it again this year. We add a toothbrush and put it in their stocking with a note from santa and they love it. Just make brushing fun. Let me know if try idea and it works for you but I know every kid is different.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I've let DS brush his own teeth and then I brush them for real, I've also let him brush mine while I brush his. Try making a game of it
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 6:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010