Potty Training Help Please!

How old were your children when they were potty trained? I have a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. I have been working on potty training out 3 yr old for some time now. He was doing really well telling me everytime he had to go poop when we lived at our old place then he went to his grandparents and it seemed like they didnt keep up with it even tho i told them what was going on. (their dad and i are split up) I have read alot of things about how if your 3 yr old isn't potty trained its because you the parent are lazy. I'm not lazy i've been working with him constantly bribing him with M&M's and things, tried puttin him in regular undies but doesnt seem to care when he pees threw or tell me. Should i just let this go and stop trying for now or what? I'm completly lost as to what to do and am frustrated. He isn't slow he talks like crazy he is a very smart child. Some advice would be wonderful
Thanks

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My brother didn't train until he was 3.5. It's more difficult with boys, though I don't know why. My daughter trained at 21 months, and was night trained before 22 months. I took her to the bathroom with me, everything I had to go, and she just caught on. Have you tried that? Or maybe have his father take a wack at it? Maybe seeing his father, and having his father step up and show him it's ok will help? GOOD LUCK!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 1:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• my son is 3 and also not potty trained, but it does not mean we are lazy, some kids just dont care! keep up all the work you have been doing with him, but also let him go at his own pace, and i have learned not to let him see you fustrated!! otherwise he will back peddle, not my goal :) keep up the good work and good luck :)
    softsweetness

Answer by softsweetness at 1:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thanks, yea i have tried that he comes to the bathroom everytime with me and wants to see "it" lol
    malibu79

Comment by malibu79 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would retry in a couple months.. so he will poop or pee and just be fine with being wet or messy? My son was like that for a while, he finally was potty trained this past month with the loving help from our daycare provider.. maybe the trip to grand parents was just enough to throw him off for a bit.. boys tend to be a bit later ( for a majority of them of course) My son is turning 3 in 5 days and its just been the past month he's been fully in underpants.. we never did pull ups.. went straight to underpants.. good luck, I know its frustrating..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My SIL just told me she doesn't feel so responsible for her 7 yr old just stopping bedwetting last year. She found an article in a Children's Health magazine at the pediatrician's office that said children don't actually get the "i need to pee" sensation and ability to actually hold it until they reach 6 yrs old. He might just be struggling to keep up with you if Daddy and Gma and Gpa aren't keeping up. Just keep working with him best you know how!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Relax! its not uncommon for things to go slower when a kids grown-ups aren't on the same page. I don't think you're lazy & whoever said that is just a bully trying to make you feel bad. This may sound bizarre, but, have you tried asking the boy what will help him use the potty more? Some very young kids can actually answer "what can i do to help you keep your bigboy pants clean?"
    QueenKathair

Answer by QueenKathair at 1:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Try doing something different with him. My son was 3 when I as a single mother trained him in a month. I went to a learning store nearby (if you dont have one u can try making ur own) bought a laminated chart, dry erase markers and a pack of assorted stickers (small ones). I stuck the chart to the wall in the bathroom. with the markers I wrote the days of the week and for everyday I wrote peepee and caca (or however u would prefer to say it). The next time I went to the bathroom and my son saw the chart he was curious as to why the chart was there. I explained to him that for every time he would do peepee or caca in the toilet he could put a sticker on the chart and he would also get a sticker for himself (and showed him the pack of stickers). Boy was he excited. Within a month he was trained. I still had to put pull ups on him to out and to sleep but a few months later I even have to do that. Hope this helped. GL
    cantmoveon

Answer by cantmoveon at 1:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010