How different do you feel now that you're married?

Most faiths frown upon unmarried couples living together. Were you ever one of these couples and then ended up getting married? How did that feel as far as your faith is concerned? How did this change your spiritual walk?

mz_erica03

Asked by mz_erica03 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i am still the same person i was when single.nothing changed for me or my husband
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We did live together before we got married. I really don't see it as a sin though. I think as long as one gets married in a reasonable amount of time, it's okay. I do not believe in cohabitating lifers though. Either get married or break up, period.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 1:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Hmmm well it made my family start REALLY treating me like a leper. They already were cuz Id moved out of their state but it got worse when I found a man and moved in with him against all the teachings of their church.

As far as me...it made me stronger. It made me open my mind to many possibilities which led to a stronger walk down my spiritual path. Im not as naive as I was and Ive allowed my inhibitions to have a turn at coming out on occasion LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I was never one of those couples, only because it would have hurt my parents, and I didn't want to do that.

Answer by older at 1:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Legally UNmarried and living together.

I'm sure our families would like us to "make it legal"...or at least in the eyes of their god, but we don't care. OUR opinions are all that matters.

Oh, and my God and Goddess, and his god don't care about a legal document.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My faith doesn't see any difference between married and living together... We married out of legal reasoning, not spiritual ones. I'm not generally a fan of marriage... I feel it in-steals a sense of ownership and inequality in a relationship... And honestly, our getting married changed NOTHING besides a last name and some titles, nothing else change in the least... We are completely the same now as we were before...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• DH and I lived together a year and some change before getting married.. we never felt there was a problem with this and our beliefs have never changed. We think more couples should live together before getting married.. because honestly how else are you supposed to know ahead of time for example that the way they brush their teeth makes you want to beat the crap out of them.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 2:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My faith is not one to frown on unmarried couples. I wasn't married and lived with my SO for several years before marriage. We got married while I was still Christian but I never believed that it took a piece a paper to make a life long commitment. Marriage did change me. I had beliefs and expectations about the institution of marriage, all of which was wrong for me. I'd rather not be married than agree to a legally unequal relationship, that's also traditionally unequal in cultural outlook. Spiritually, motherhood has changed me far more than getting married ever did.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We lived together a good 10 months before we got married, and nothing changed when we got that paper. Although I will always love the sound of his last name at the end of my own, and it made my head swim with bliss the while it took for me to get used to calling him my husband... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Marriage is not the end all be all of relationship status. I am happily UNmarried, and living with my lovely. It has absolutely NO affect, what so ever, on my "spirituality". It is a document, a legal and binding contract, nothing more. Anyone who feels differently is entitled to their OPINION, but that is all it is, and it does not apply to my life.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2010