Vaccines - pro or con!?

Wondering if I should move forward w/ vaccines for my son.

cstashu

Asked by cstashu at 11:29 AM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm for them.....A disease that's is non existent here in America is only a plane ride away or an illegal coming here with to bring it back, and give it to someone who was not immunized.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:36 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I personally am for them. I did the research and it was a tough decision to make. However I felt that getting my children vaccinated was the lesser of two evils. I would rather have them protected from diseases which could maim or kill them. Yes, there are dangers in vaccinating but there is so much conflicting information on those dangers. Some research says that the risk is minimal or rare and others say that it's serious and common. Most are somewhere inbetween. It's very confusing. And as for the risks themselves...well the only one I hear of a lot is autism. But there's no proof of that (children who have never been vaxed have been diagnosed with autism). So I don't know what to believe.

Finally I decided that the risk of them dying from a disease the vaccinations could've protected them from was greater than the risk of them getting autism or something similar. I decided to protect them against the more devistating risk.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:47 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• KUDOS to those response!! Very nicely said! But I agree also, not to mention, how worth it they can be for your childs health, and also now a days they are making soooooo many "new" child abuse legislation law, that a lawyer friend of mine, explained how well only in certasin states so far, that it will be condsidered neglect if you dont get your child vaccinated. Also I know that alot of school systems dont allow them in without the vaccinations
    SavannahMoMHC2

Answer by SavannahMoMHC2 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I'm neutral. There's so many pros and cons to them it's so difficult. On the one hand, many of the diseases are easy to treat with proper health care (like measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, etc.) A great book to read is "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Robert Sears. He goes through each vaccine and goes through the malignancy of each disease, how easy it is to treat, how common it is, etc. Then he suggests a selective/delayed schedule. It's a really great book and I highly recommend it.
    GothyMama

Answer by GothyMama at 12:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I am not sure how I feel bout the shots. My daughetr did fine with them, but my 2 yr old is autistic and his first symptons didn't start till he had his last round of shots at his 1 yr check up. I think if I were to have another child I wouls not allow all the shots I would be a lil more choosy. I truely am torn about them. You should do what you feel is right, it is your child and he is your responsibility. Good luck in whatever you choose!!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I am a non vaccinating mother. Read The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. He is for vaxing himself but he tells you what is in each vaccine, what it is supposed to protect against, the chance you have of contacting a disease w/out the shot, a delayed vax schedule and a selective vax schedule. It is very neat, organized, and easy to read. I read it and decided not to vax.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• look up some of those disease on the net. measles and mumps and polio...look at the pics of what it does to people. you wanna risk it? what's the less of two evils? there's your answer. just do not make this decision based on what we say. do the research.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 3:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• im against it :) always will be.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:11 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Vaccines do not guarantee immunity. I cannot be sure that my child won't have a life-changing reaction from them either. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 2:17 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I am all for them! My children have all got thier vaccines and will continue to do so! My so was to little to get a vaccine and got whooping cough! We were lucky to catch it and be able to treat him! But because my other two children had gotten thier vaccines they did not get it! I will get my children their vaccines!!
    hmr.jenkins

Answer by hmr.jenkins at 12:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2008