Sensitivity to sounds?

My 3 year old will freak out at certain sounds he hears, usually loud noises, but sometimes very subtle noises too. If he hears a car, it scares him (especially if he hears it starting). Music he is fine with usually. Yesterday DH was trying to cut his hair using clippers and it took us both about 10 minutes to calm him down so DH could do it. The whole time he was telling us the clippers were too noisy (they aren't--as far as I can tell).

At school (Head Start) he is having behavior issues. He doesn't like to participate with the rest of the class and he is not comfortable with having other kids around him. Now I don't know if that has anything to do with him being an only child and not used to having other kids around him for most of the day, but then again, he was in daycare for the first 3 years of his life, so he should be used to it by now I would think.

But I'm wondering if there is a connection between the two

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son reacts VERY similar and is being tested for "high functioning" aspergers/autism - he is light sensitive and sound sensitive and like your son, not ALL the time and it varies which is hard to explain.. he can handle fire works but a baby crying is like torture for him and he freaks out.. we have to wake up slowly with lights or its "burns" his eyes he says. Also he doesn't like to be around other kids and will not have social contact which I didn't know, but is a sign/symptom of aspergers - I thought it was just shy because we were but it seems to be a bit more severe than what "normal" should be.. its so hard to distiguish I know but he also has routine issues and throwing him out of routine or not warning him what his day will consist of will throw him enough to make his / our day rough... nothing is clear cut or extreme but everything seems to be harder if that makes sense...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• You should read the book "The Out of Sync Child". You may find it sounds like your child. Sensory Processing Disorder can cause many of the problems you're seeing. I'd definitely have the school do the evaluation but make sure they're checking for sensory issues. They often come with autism but can also occur by themselves (although the medical community currently isn't in agreement on this..)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My son is like that. He's 4. Doesn't like loud noises and he's afraid of any noises he can't identify. He has behavior and social issues. He has a diagnosis of ADHD and possible Asperger's/ODD. But first, we had his ears checked to make sure there was nothing going on there. Have you spoken to his doctor?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Sounds like Autism.

Has not a thing to be the only child.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• you could mention it to his Ped, at least voice your concerns and he/she could direct you or give you their thoughts - I decided not to bother as I don't have a "great" Ped... we see whoever we can get in with out of 2 or 3 of them. I never found one I really liked or decided to make as HIS Dr. But it never hurts to get thier thoughts, I just figured he would tell me to call Early childhood for an eval either way . My husband is light sensitive and thinks its "normal" too -I think mostly what you want to think of is if they come back and say he is fine/normal ( whatever that is ) then great, if he does have "something" than he can only benifit from this...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• There could very well be a connection with him being so sensitive to sounds and chaos. He could have a processing disorder or something else. I would talk with your pediatrician to see what they think.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I talked to the principal at his school last week (he has an IEP for speech therapy) about getting him tested to see if he might have any development issues that may be causing his behavior problems. She said she needed to speak to his home school and make arrangements with them to have him tested. She said it shouldn't be a problem getting him tested since he already has an IEP in place.

He otherwise doesn't really have any problems. Sometimes the light bothers him, but it bothers me too (I sit under bright flourenscent lights all day, of course it bothers me, LOL). He is a picky eater too, but then again, I know that's pretty normal for his age.

Anyway, I'm going to talk to the principal again next week and see what arrangements she's been able to make. Should I also mention this to his pediatrician, or just wait and see what their testing yields?
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thanks. I think I'll just wait until they do some testing on him through his school. If there's anything there, then I'll bring it up with his pediatrician and go from there.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• He is going to be checked for SPD and autism, but his appt with the psychologist is not until January, so will have to be patient until then.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• His pedi thinks it could be normal 3 year old stuff too, but I'm still getting him checked out.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010