I'm wanting to start drinking wine...

...what are some good brands/flavors that aren't too expensive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• i know me 2. i want to lay down relax and have a good glass. but every kind i have tried i dont like...so hopefully someone will post a good kind
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i drink white zinfandel. there is all different kinds of cheap kinds. go to your liquor store and ask for white zinfandel, they are 10 bucks for a nice bottle.. one good one is sutter home i think, and relax. i mix it with diet gingerale and ice. yummy!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I like any kind of Sweet Table Wine... idk if it comes in colors, but I like the white.

Wine is like beer, it's an acquired taste.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I don't like dry wine and I really don't like wine that isn't sweet. My favorite (and it's cheap) is Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot.
    Stay away from White Wine, it tends to be more dry and less sweet. Start with reds.
    The best thing to do is to go to a wine tasting at a local winery.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• If you're having a hard time finding a wine you like you will probably like sweet wines. My sister is like that. She loves Arbor Mist. It has many different flavors. Another thing she has learned to like ius Ballatore Gran Spumante either by itself or mixed half and half with sparkling red grape juice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Go to a local wine shop and talk to them. Tell them what you want, and what you don't like. Take their advice, and don't be afraid to try new things. Make sure you tell them you are new to wine and don't want to spend a lot of money until you have tried some different blends. They should be able to direct you to several choices in the 8-15 dollar range.
    There are an abundance of Chenin Blanc on the market right now that would be good to start with. Ask the person at the wine store to help you find something without oak. You'll be glad you did.
    Cupcake Chardonnay is a personal favorite of mine right now.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• The poster who said stay away from whites - there are dry and sweet reds and whites. If you've only been exposed to Sauvignon Blanc and a port or Lambrusco, sure you'll think that reds are sweeter than whites. On the other hand, if you had a german Reisling and a Chianti, you would say the opposite. However, sweetness in red wines is generally considered a flaw, unless you are drinking something that is specifically a late harvest wine.
    The flavor of the wine has as much to do with the aging process as it does the blend of grapes used.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I got into it from working at olive garden.. we would do wine parings and try new wines with different fruits like apples and pears to taste the wines full spectrums.. I highly recommend doing something like this.. my faves are Eco Domani Merlot and Pinot Grigio.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 3:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I love Relax Reisling. It is a sweet white wine. Very reasonable
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010