Temper tantrums inside the store?

How do you ladies handle temper tantrums when out in public like at the store. My 23 month old just recently started throwing bad tantrums and just started this week throwing them in the store. He got mad because I wouldnt get him a cookie and chucked his cup across the room and threw himself on the floor. At home I would just walk away and ignore it, but what should you do in the store?

NicoleAnn26

Asked by NicoleAnn26 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A common answer here is to leave the store. However, that doesn't work with my son. He throws fits in hopes of getting out of there. So, instead when he gets upset I either carry him like a baby or put him in the shopping cart and tell him as long as he acts like a baby he will be treated like one. It works well. =) Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Mine did the same thing today and I just grabbed her and walked out the store, she kept saying sorry mommy sorry, but I left anyway and came home and put her in time out. I wouldn't react too much to it b/c then they'll catch on and do it more.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Stand near by to ensure their safety and ignore it. No eye contact with the child. Just stand there and let it run it's course. Had the police called on me once because I tried to physically remove my child and of course they were kicking and screaming. Sooo I opted to just keep my child safe and re-direct traffic around him until he decided to stop. That's the hard part of trying to teach your children to behave in public. Sometimes you have to be the center of attention. You might want to try to remove them before it gets too out of control. I've abandoned carts of food before to get them out of a situation before it started.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I bring my son and put him in the shopping cart seat so in case he throws a fit, I can leave quickly and go to the car. If he does not relax and continues the fit then we go home & when my DH comes home I go back out shopping & leave my Son home.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I walk away and ignore it or leave or let him throw it and make sure he knows it is NOT ok.. at 23 months it depends on what he understands at this point and if No means NO, let him be pissed and still not get it.. My son tested for a good 6 months like clock work every time we were in public.. after the 5th time I stopped bringing him which threw him in to a fit at home and he started realizing that was more of a punshiment too, to not get to go with mommy.. stick with your guns mommy.. some kids it only takes one time of discipline and sons kids, like my son, he'll just continue to test and fuss lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We leave. I have taken the cart back to the door and said Sorry, we have to leave. I can say this though, if you are going to be buying the food, it is much calmer to just open a box of crackers or whatever and let them snack on it. I do it all the time, makes for a faster shopping trip.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I treat it the same way I would at home. There have been times that I lay down and throw a fit with her. She looks at me like I've lost my mind but she quits doing it. Doesn't seem so nice when mom does it.
    I don't leave the store since she does not dictate my schedule and she needs to learn what is appropriate and what is not. If I leave everytime she does it, then I am letting her rule my routine.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We have this problem with my almost 3 year old. He used to love the store and now he goes back and forth between trying to play too rough (he likes to hit at DH while DH pushes the cart) and screaming. We don't pay him any attention when he does, though, because getting onto him only makes him scream worse, and letting him see he's not getting a reaction tends to make it stop faster. We don't have the luxury of leaving and coming back, or of me going without him - I don't drive, and DH works nights so we don't want to interrupt his sleep too much with having to go out more than is necessary.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We spanked our children for such behavior, and I can honestly say that not one of them ever threw such a fit in public. Had they done so, all I would have done would have been to remind them that they would be spanked the minute we got home. The fit would have stopped, but the spanking would still have happened. Thankfully, I raised my children when spanking behinds was not considered mean or abusive. It was then considered to be the only way to discipline children, and it worked. It worked because it assures that the parents are the authorities and are to be obeyed. My children are all adults now with families of their own. As a grandmother, I can take my grandchildren anywhere with the full knowledge that I will not see fit-throwing from any of them. The reason??? They, too, are being taught the way their parents were taught. It makes for peaceful, harmonious living and enables one to fully enjoy their children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I've left and I've also just tried to keep him from hurting himself until the fit is over. Depends how bad I need to shop. He threw a fit the other day when we walked in the grocery store, but we were completely out of milk so I had to get a few things. Some stranger held the shopping cart still for me while I wrestled him into the seat and buckled him in. He calmed down a few minutes later and I had him picking the apple colors he liked best and stuff like that, and he was fine the rest of the trip. I have left if I felt like he was just to tired to deal with another errand before too. Just depends on how long the fit lasts and how badly I need to get something done, I guess. Trying to PREVENT the fit by making sure he's had a snack, has enough sleep, etc. helps most of the time, but there are still bad days now and then.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010