why does he talk like a baby?!

My son is in kindergarten. He is 5. He has a 6 year old friend who comes over for play dates and he seriously talks like a baby! I cant undersand 80% of what he says. Is this common, or does my child just speak extremely well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Some children have speech problems. One of my Dh's little brothers talk like a baby too, he is 12. I think he has some mental problems as well... but they refuse to see it. Not my problem! But yes some kids just have a hard time speaking.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 2:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• He will probably grow out of it. You are used to the way your son talks. Other parents might not understand him. I know every time my daughter said something, my mother would look at me to interpret.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Because his parents talked to him the same way. If you want your kindergartener to speak baby talk, speak baby talk to him, if you want him to speak english speak english, if you want him to speak spanish speak spanish-it's simple really.
    I never understood why parents spoke baby talk for 4 years and then expected the child to just start talking plainly the day they start school.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• A lot of times it's because the parents talk to him that way and or it could be he is seeking attention. When my dd is sad or upset about something she will sometimes speak as if she cannot pronouce certain letters and sounds baby-ish. She has the best speech from any child I have met, but she does this for attention. I simply just tell her to talk to mommy like a big girl.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Regression, just the way he speaks, your son is ahead of his age, deafness,or the other child has an speech disorder... My oldest daughter when she was 4 was diagnosed with - Phonological Speech Disorder. Her being my 1st child I thought she spoke fine - boy was I wrong...

emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• it is a game they are playing to see how far they can get a way with it
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 11:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I can be just his way of talking if that's how his parents talked to him. I can imagine it's quite annoying.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2010