Have your children had tubes and/or their adenoids removed?

My son is three, and very very active. He's scheduled to get tubes in two weeks. When he's under, the dr is going to look at his adenoids a litle closer and decide on whether or not they need to be removed as well. They are swollen, he's just not sure how severe because my son won't cooperate during that exam. lol

Were there any complications with your child's surgery? With adenoid removal, how long were they down for? I'm worried that I won't be able to keep him down as long as he needs to be if those get removed.

I'm not going to defend my decision to get my son tubes, so don't even try and change my mind. I know it's a controversial surgery, but know we've tried every natural remedy to clear him of this fluid he's had since birth. We've tried medicaitons, and cutting out allergic foods he tested for. Nothing is working and his balance is off.

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My daughter had her tonsils and adenoids removed several years ago (she's now 15) and there were no complications. It was done as day surgery and for her it was because she kept getting strep throat and hasn't had it since.

As for tubes - I've a nephew that's had them twice.....same issues as your son - natural remedies not working. The tubes helped 100%.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My (now) 3 1/2 year old daughter had her tonsils and adenoids out when she was 2 1/2...she had NO complications. The entire surgery took under 40 minutes and she was demanding all kinds of food the next morning (her surgery was at 8pm). It was the absolute BEST thing I could have ever done for her...she no longer snores, her sleep apnea is no more and she actually SLEEPS instead of waking up every 5-10 minutes.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 3:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• No, but best of luck. Hope they help your little guy.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 4:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My son had is adendoids and tonsils out. He had to NOT jump, run or ride a bike for a week. He ended up having issues with being put under and was sick for a week. He had to have the surgery redone because the incision split open.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• my brother had his tonsils out years ago & it was fine - no complications at all
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• my 10 yrs old had both out at 3-no complications.
    aitson

Answer by aitson at 8:40 AM on Nov. 10, 2010