What is a good way to teach your child multiplication?

mz_erica03

Asked by mz_erica03 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• REPITITION!!!!! Breakout those flash cards and go over them everyday.The multiplication facts should be MEMORIZED. To introduce the process I am a fan of counters, or skip counting. Eventually you need to just do the flashcards DAILY, and get those facts embedded in the brain.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I have the BESt way. My sixth grade teacher used to do this and I know my multiplicatioin tables so well... Draw a circle..put 1 number in the middle and then 0-9 around the out side of the circle. Point to the middle # then do the 0,1 , 2, 3 and so on. I swear it works soooo good! You can even practice and see how fast they can get. It's kind of learning through repitition but more fun and more effective.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Visual learning like grouping things. Pretzels, M&M's, so forth.
    Make up a song.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My kids learned to multiply in school.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• when i had to learn the tables my mom and i use to walk everywhere and she would ask them to me, a table at a time, then skip numbers it was a fun way to study and remember them.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 2:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• school house rock!!
    keepswimming

Answer by keepswimming at 3:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My daughter is in 2nd grade. She is learning to count by 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s. Then I ask her: What's 3 x 4? We skip count on out fingers until she gets it. (3, 6, 9, 12) It is helping her with the concept of it. But really, it's all memorization.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My stepdaughter IS in school kerp1960. My DH and I are trying to help her at home.
    mz_erica03

Comment by mz_erica03 (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010