How do i get my daughter to stop "grinding" in every seat she sits in?

If we go to te grocery store she does this "scooting" back and forth motion the entire time which is very embarrassing at times! I can't even take her in the car without a passenger to help control her movement... she literallt grinds until she draws blood! I sit her in the highchair to eat and I end up having to remove her because she is sooo focused on grinding that she wont even eat. UNFORTUNATELY we have relocated so she has already tried 2 different doctors and both were useless in my opinion! I'm tempted to try to get her back north to see her original doctor. Has anyone else had this issue???? Solutions??? She is 16 months old and the behavior started about 2 months after we moved to florida (around her first birthday).......

peapod510

Asked by peapod510 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my neice does this she will be 3 this month she has been doing it since she could walk. her dr. said she feels something she likes and just keeps doing it and its because the bulky diaper is rubbing her the right way. when she transfers to underwear she should chill out but no one knows why she does it my sister just ignores it.. it drives me bonkers when i see her doin it i try to pre occupy her with toys coloring, candy etc.. it usually works out.
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thank you... I was thinking it might be a self stim behavior and hopefully the transition to underwear will be the cure!!! She has been going on the potty randomly since her first birthday so I'm hoping she transitions in the next few months. I would rather deal with accidents than the grinding... Your answer took some worry away knowing there are other kids doing it too.
    peapod510

Comment by peapod510 (original poster) at 7:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2010