20 month old and speech

Hello, I'm a SAHM to a 8 yr old and 20 month old. Anyway I was worried that my 20 month old wasn't talking enough he says momma, dadda, bubba, sas(dog whom he also calls bob) whats that, whats this, uh oh to name some.. he follows directions extremely well like can you go get your coat or a diaper or whatever anyway I talked to his dr and she recommended first steps they came and did his evaluation and said that he is 20% behind in his communication and recommended he have speech therapy.. Have any of you done this and what can I expect..? I feel so guilty like I haven't worked with him enough or something that caused him to be behind.. any advice would be great.. Bummed:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 20% is not that much, in my opinion, at his age. I would try speech therapy and see what a speech therapist thinks. It won't hurt!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 2:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Aw, don't get down on yourself & don't be bummed. Babies & kids develop & hit milestones at all different ages & stages.

Get him in speech therapy now though. It will help w/your piece of mind & it will help him, whether there is an issue w/his speech or not. If there ends up being one, you'll be glad you detected it & got him into therapy early.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My oldest has autism so I keep a VERY close eye on the development of my younger kids. My 4th is almost 2 and has been in speech therapy for a year (yes, since 12 months). When they tested him he was 25% behind on receptive language, but only behind a little on expressive. In the past couple of months, his speech has exploded and he's way above where he should be but when the approved the speech it was approved until age 3. I am continuing the speech therapy because I don't see how it could hurt him!
    But it's nothing you did! Some kids are just a little slower. Kudos to you for keeping an eye on your son's development and getting him the help he needs to catch up and excel at an early age!

Answer by missanc at 2:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Early intervention is key - take advantage of speech therapy.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• CHEER UP! Your son is doing better then my friends son who is almost 5!...20% is not bad and im sure you worked with him enough. It would be different if he was more like 50% behind. Some kids catch on to things faster then others and it sounds like he is doing great. Dont stress. Try the therapy and see how it works. If you dont like it at all then take him out and work with him more on your own. But dont bum your self out. Your little one sounds like a bright young man!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Speech therapy can only help. My son started speech at 25 months. I had been concerned for a while that he was behind, but I couldn't get anyone else to agree that I might be right until he turned 2. Some delays might be caused by lack of exposure to language and communication, but I think that is less common. My son has a twin sister who is way ahead; he's spent every day with her since before he was even born, so I know his delay is not due to something we did wrong or didn't provide.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Instead of thinking you didn't do enough, think about how you are discovering and addressing the problem for him so he can get caught up and stay on track. And I agree, for a boy at 20 months to be a little behind in speech doesn't seem that abnormal only because it really seems that boys get to talking a little later than girls. It might be something where he would have gotten himself on track on his own over a few months, but if it were me I would get the therapy as it can't hurt. He'll probably enjoy it, I think they usually make things like that fun for the kids and it isn't like he has to get shots every visit or anything. So try not to worry, Mama.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I am having the exact same thing!!
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2010