Do you like Greek yogurt? How can I learn to like it or at least not gag while eating it?

My immune system is weak because of a chemo drug and I'm supposed to eat Greek yogurt to help kill off a fungal infection that I now have, but the yogurt is so yucky. I can't eat sugar so it has to be the plain kind. So far I have used it in place of sour cream, but there are only so many times I'm willing to eat tacos. lol Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Try adding berries are peaches to it. I'm not sure what brand you are buying, that might be the problem. Greek Gods is the best...the rest are nasty tasting, IMO.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• try putting strawberries in it and either mashing it or blending it to make a smoothy..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Maybe talk to your doctor about getting on probiotics like Phillip's Colon Health.

i personally hate yogurt so I can't help you make it taste better.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 3:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I eat it with a scoop of vanilla protein powder and mixed berries. Can you have artificial sweetener? Sometimes I'll add a packet of Equal if the berries aren't sweet enough.

Prayers for a quick recovery! :)
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 3:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I use yogurt to make Alfredo sauce and I actually let the normal yogurt drain for a while to thicken it up, which would be similar to Greek yogurt. You can probably mix half Greek yogurt-half cream for the sauce to feel it less? I now pretty much use yogurt instead of cream for everything, though, since I joined Weight Watchers.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• It depends what you are eating with it. Plain Greek yogurt is nasty, for sure! But I'll use it as a replacement for sour cream for tacos, baked potatoes or whatever. Or you can add fruit (as others have suggested) or honey or use it to make a fruit smoothie. You can even buy containers of it that have the fruit or honey premixed in.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I have only tried the Greek Gods brand so far and the ones with fruit and honey also have sugar added to them.

I'll have to try the berries and sweetener.

Would the heat from using it in cooked things kill the good bacteria in it?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I have Thrush... Ya you read it right.... Anyhow, My doc just prescribed an antibiotic to help ''Balance'' my sugar... I don't know exactly what your MD / HX is, but I'd seek other options as well... Theirs foods out there for you. Google your medical condition or what your ''Lacking'' along with natural remedies and see what you get... Example:foods that can help control oral thrush... Good Luck

emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i eat greek yogurt by fage and oikos and its pretty good they have yogurt with fruit added and its delicious its pretty thick but once you keep eating it you get used to the taste and you can add it to your smoothies or incorporate it in your food so you dont taste it
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010