Skin Question, does my son have eczema?

My son will be four in January. Last June I noticed this odd mark on his back, it was like a collection of goose bumps. When the summer was coming to an end, these small patches (size of the tip of my finger) were showing up on his thighs, upper chest and more on his back.

I went to the doctors and they said he has eczema (I have asthma). It sounded right but I look at photos and it looks nothing like it. Now my son just showed up with a HUGE patch on his side going from his back to the chest. I put lotion on it, but I just dont feel thats he has this condition. It doesn't bug him, and he doesn't itch it. But its a slight dark tint and just again little goose bump.

Before I go back to the doctors I would like some outside mom input on this. What does it sound like is it Eczema????

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 3:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Health

• yes
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• It does the little bumps in clusters. My son has eczema and it can look very different than what you see online, online tends to show the worse case ya know. It doesn't itch at all? That is weird my sons is connected to an allergy and when he eats something with it in it he gets itchy - really itchy if we don't catch it and medicate it he will scrach himself raw in the middle of the night. Does it seem to "mellow" after a bath because hydration is a big thing with controling it. Also, does he seem to be contagious to himself... ie he scratchs his arm, touches his leg and then a rash pops up?

My Dr always says it's the itch that rashes
    ShaunsMomma04

Answer by ShaunsMomma04 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• It does, but instead of taking him to his peds. doc, take him to a dermatologist.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Eczema does usually itch, at least part of the time. And it will often become red and then it will scale off a bit only to repeat the cycle. It is usually worse in the winter when the air is drier and we are not in the sunlight as much.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• It does sound like eczema- the tiny bumps in little patches. When my DD has an outbreak it will be in huge patches sometimes all across her back or torso as well. It is strange that your son doesn't itch, though. If your gut tells you it is something else have the doctor look at it again or get a 2nd opinion. Can you tie it into anything he is eating or could be allergic to, i.e. fabric softener, etc?
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My son has mild eczema (usually on his cheeks but sometimes on his legs) and Keratosis pilaris (KP)--which looks like goosebumps or chicken skin--on his upper arms. It sounds like it could be either of those.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• My daughter has a condition called Keratitis Pilaris. I thought it was eczema, but turned out it wasn't. It is worse in the winter due to dryness. I put Eucerin Aquaphor on it after baths and it helps A LOT. It doesn't seem to bother her at all, unlike eczema which can be very itchy.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• *Keratosis Pilaris...oops
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Thank you for all your answers I looked up theKeratosis, and those are much larger bumps then what he has. When I found the large patch on his side and I was trying to feel for more, his skin went into goose flesh and I couldn't feel it anymore until it went back down so the bumps are super tiny and very close together. Its odd cause it doesnt itch and everyone says eczema does.

They seem to be during times of stress. Last time was when school ended & then they got a little worse during the first 2 weeks of school, then went away all together and now my husband is about to leave for a month and so I think he can sence our stress over this. My son is a speech delay autistic so its hard to be able to chat and explaine things to him but he is very smart in understanding something big is about to happen. Im not even sure what he understands and doesn't understand from our talks.

Thank you I will have him see a skin doctor.
    whoreallycares

Comment by whoreallycares (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2010