What Are The Alternitives?

I ahve a 3 y/o dd and lately she has become so difficult. She won't listen. She begs to do something when I tell her no. She will do what I tell her not to or she will continue to do something after I tell her to stop. The only way I fell I can get her to do anything is to threaten her with taking aawy privledges, but I don't like to always threaten her. What else can I do? She thinks time outs are funny.

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 3:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am sorry i have no answer my three year old is the same so your not alone i too would like to know what to do..
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Stop threatening and just take away the privileges. She is waiting to mind until she thinks you are going to enforce a consequence. If you make the consequences start coming right away without threats and warnings she will start believing you mean it the first time you say it.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I agree- give one warning that she is about to lose a privilege and if she doesn't listen then take away the privilege. Simple as that. Just make sure the punishment fits the crime- you don't lose tv for a month but maybe for the rest of the day or afternoon or whatever. A lady I worked with would make her kids go to bed 15 minutes early if they acted up and to them it was the worst punishment in the world. Don't battle back and forth with her over stuff, just make you request and give consequences if she doesnt'ycomply. At 3 she is old enough to understand. At the same time, choose your battles, and make sure the things you are requiring of her are really important and worth making your point over.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Sounds like timeout needs to be longer to me. And privileges don't exist if you can't behave.
    Hollea

Answer by Hollea at 3:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Welcome to the wonderful world of being three! Patience mama, that's all I can say.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• You can decide to listen to me/do as i say.... or you can (insert punishment)... it is your choice... Once she "makes her choice".... I make mine.... No 2nd chance... But I make it clear it is her choice.. her consequence...

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• try to give her choices so she feels she has some control of things. And is she getting enough one on one time with you and your SO? Lots of times kids go for negative attention when they cannot get enough positive attention. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• do not threaten actually do it or she will think you will never do what you threaten...and use it against you later in her teens
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 6:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Stop threatening and do something.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2010