Why is it so hard for recent graduates to get hired?

Life after college sucks. I have a marketing degree and every where I go I feel like companies are trying to exploit me. WTF

UVWray

Asked by UVWray at 3:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• No experience. Because there are so many qualified EXPERIENCED job candidates out there.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Join the club my husband was an accountant for a lumber company for 23 years and it went bankrupt due to a managers error!! He has been out of work for 7 months and can't find work anywhere!!! He has excellent skills and experience!!! The economy sucks!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• There are 5 qualified applicants for every available job.
    In some areas (like here) that number is considerably higher.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 3:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• because the economy sucks! I got my BA in 2004 and still have yet to find the ideal job i worked so hard for.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• You have to be willing to move and adapt. The job market is really tight and difficult right now. You are right out of school and the no experience detail makes you more of a risk. But also remember to market yourself! They also don't have to pay you as much as those that have a ton of experience and you are full of fresh ideas!! Go back to your school and ask them if they have any of their past grads that have contacted them and are willing to network with recent grads. A lot of them have a list, use what resources they have available and be willing to change. You have to start somewhere. Keep your head up! You have the drive to be a real asset! You graduated after 4 years of hard work. That makes you successful already!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• OP--

What had you HOPED to be able to do with your degree?! Where did you envision yourself working, and what did that job entail? Did you work/intern for a marketing company while in college?

Even in the worst economy (which we're in), it ALWAYS comes down to relevant work experience and WHO you know...more than WHAT you know!

HOWEVER, you DO have a 4-year degree, and MANY places (if you are willing) will hire you BECAUSE of that!! You should consider substitute teaching--doesn't matter the field your degree is in--if you have a clean background (no arrest record or charges against you), then you could be making upwards of $100 per day--and you pick and choose the days and grades you want to teach--so you can still devote time to job hunting while making SOME money! That's how I got back into the working world and into teaching--after being a SAHM for 8 years and using the BS degree I was awarded 20 years earlier!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• They want someone with a years experience under their belt, but keep trying you may run across someone who wants to train you their way and you wont have to relearn things by the way you were taught at another company.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• IF a company is going to hire right now, due to the economy, they'd probably want someone with experience so that don't have to spend the time/money training you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Catch 22. Need experience to get a job and need a job to get experience. Just because you have a college degree, doesn't mean these days you have any better chance of getting a job than anyone else unfortunately.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 11:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It's not just recent grads, it's everyone. There is just so much competition for open jobs right now.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010