Home school resources/curriculums.

Okay so I have looked into the free public school for homeschooling on my state and am not really in love with the fact that I am still under a public school calender. Part of what appealed to me about home school as the fact that I could go at his pace as long as it was between Sept. 1- Aug 31. according to my states laws. (If I even got that right) I looked at some other programs but they seemed to be of the same mind frame. Kids log in and have a time restraint. How does it work to make your own curriculum and school year schedule. I want more of a year round school kind of time line. I just have no idea where to begin with making my own lesson plans but I don't want my son to be locked into a certain time line that he HAS to learn something. This is why we want out of public school... I am so lost.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Go to the library and make your own. I was home schooled and a lot of my friends were taught that way. There is also curriculum like ACE that give you the books and let you do everything at your own pace. We just used this last year with one of my sisters who was having a hard time with self esteem and so I home schooled her for a year and worked on her self esteem and this year she went back to school and s doing much better! We also went on a ton of mini vacations and studied about the history before we got there and then got to see what we had studied!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 3:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We do the year round HS and we love it - we get to break whenever we want, heck we have school whenever we want! Our motto is: Learning is not confined to the hours of 8 and 3 nor the days of Mon-Fri. We also have school 6 days instead of 5 so we only have to have it about 2 hrs a day. For our core curriculum we use the online www.Time4Learning.com and it is AWESOME!! You can repeat the lesson/activity 100 times if you need to. It is very easy to get the kids to get excited for school. Often they tell me "Mom can I do some more, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEase!" lol Anyway got to T4L and play around on the demos. It's $20 per mo to join and for me with 2 kids its discounted to $34.90. PM me if you want any other info....I have a TON!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I like the core knowledge series, "What Your [insert grade] Needs to Know". If you start homeschooling from the start you can follow these and your child will have an excellent education. I don't care for the virtual schools for the same reasons you don't - I am homeschooling so that I have control, not the public schools. Good luck!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I just purchased the 5 in a row system. I got it cheaper on Amazon but you can get most of the books needed for it from your library. It uses a different method to cover all subjects. For younger kids there is before 5 in a row.. I hope this helps you.
    homewithmyheart

Answer by homewithmyheart at 3:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• But how do you know what to teach? Like what should a second grade student learn in that year. In my state I must turn in a progress report for the required subjects each year and they have to take a standardized test in 3,6,9 and 12. How do I know what he needs to know?
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• T4L has all the lessons mapped out for you and you can get the progress reports whenever you want. Just go look at their portfolio and print if you want. Very simple....love it.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We homeschool year round and I prepare and piece together my own cirriculum. I live in one of the highest regulated states for homeschooling and even my state regs tell me that the time periods are just a guide. We go at our own pace.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I like the time4 learning. I think my son would do well with that sort of set up and it would give me a guide for what I needed to be supplementing with on paper. The ACE curriculum would be excellent for supplementing from what I have read. I may be able to figure this out after all. lol.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Research everything is what Id do
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• get a book on home schooling and read what they did for there kids
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 11:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2010