Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

Child support- don't know what category to place in

My husband has child support taken out of his check automatically. We have had this done for over 4 years now and this year all of a sudden the support agency says we are over $1,000 behind. We have pulled his check stubs and checked the amount it is what the court has ordered. However, when you try to talk to the support agency they don't seem to want to listen to reason. They treat you like you are some deadbeat that is trying to get out of paying. That is not the case but there has been a mistake on their end. Has anyone had to deal with this before and how did you handle it? I only need serious people with helpful suggestions. No bashing how we don't want to pay our support, that simply is not the case here.


Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • You cannot do this on the phone. Ideally you should go into the office with all of your records. If that is not possible start by mailing copies of your records and your accounting. But be prepared to go to the office if necessary.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 3:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • I've not had that problem myself. We started out behind because of how the Utah system does child support. HOWEVER I might suggest making a photocopy of all the approrpriate pay stubs (a workforce services office should have a public copier, or at least in UT they do) and mail those copies to the agency. Subsequently, is it possible that it's a previous behind balance that they only just got caught up on enough to notice? Either way you should ask for an itemized bill detail of what they say has been or not been paid every month from their end to compare to things on your end so you can figure out where the breakdown has occurred and work to address it.

    Answer by JadeRDragosani at 3:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • My ex-husband and I are dealing with this. We've both called in a few times, then we went in TOGETHER - still nothing. We're on the waiting list for an account review & audit. It's ridiculous. I wish I could offer you some advice. Good luck!

    Answer by BethLopez at 3:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • you need to request to have your accounts audited (this can take time) in the mean time, check with the mom and be certain she has been receiving the correct amount; if so, request documentation.

    one last thing, if your husband's salary has increased over the past 4yrs, child support should have also increased as well. so when the audit is done and they have a review if it is discovered that he has had unreported raises, you will owe back child support as well as interest on the unreported income, jfyi.

    Answer by rfurlongg at 3:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • GO IN and bring the proof. Talk to a SUPERVISOR. If you have to, get an attorney.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • They told my husband he owed more money, too, and it ended up being a mistake and he got money back. Keep trying. Ask to talk to a supervisor.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010