How do other SAHMs keep from feeling like they are lazy?

I am a SAHM of a 3 and 1 year old. I keep my house clean, cook healthy meals, tend to my kids & pets, go for walks. But I feel like I never can do enough. My husband works 12 hour shifts. I feels so lazy compared to the hard work he does. When I do have quiet time, yes I will sit on the couch and watch tv, putz on the computer or do crafts. Is it normal to feel guilty about doing "nothing" for about 4 hours of the day when the kids are napping or playing? I feel like I should be robomom! lol.

elenalee

Asked by elenalee at 3:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well, your husband may work 12 hour shifts....but so do you plus more and you're always on call! Don't feel guilty. I sure don't. My house is super clean, I make healthy home cooked meals and my daughter is well cared for. She's napping right now and here I am on the computer. I have some laundry to do today, but other than that...I'm done cleaning today. I got up early and did everything before I woke her up.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I am a SAHM also. Just wait until they get in school. Then you really feel lazy. I am trying to get a part time job just to get out of the house. While the kids are at school of course. I am going crazy. Hang in there.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• u do a lot more than i do! with a 9 month old im chasing her all the time and if she is napping then maybe i can start a load of laundry or clean the bathroom and get something to eat! but she only naps for an hour so its not much time! ur doing great! sorry not much help!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Just be happy things are calm right now. And yes I do feel lazy and guilty at times, but it doesn't last long. These twins always keep me busy! :)
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 3:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Im a SAHM and sometimes i feel guilty about not doing as much as my husband( he's a deisel Mechanic) and right now its been worse bc i dont feel great all the time and im always tired so i spend more time laying down or sitting in a chair... but then i think if it wasnt for me he wouldnt have clean clothes or have a hot meal when he comes home and the house would be a mess and all that...
    MrsPancake

Answer by MrsPancake at 4:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i'm a sahm too and i don't feel lazy at all, sure my dh works 10-12 hour shifts but i work a 24 hour shift with very few breaks....my one year old takes a nap but my 4 year old does not
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm a sahm to a 4 year old and a 2 year old and I'm pregnant with our third. My husband is military and woks really long hours. I never feel like i'm lazy or not doing enough, my kids are fed, clean, healthy, learning and happy. Keeping them like that is more than a 12hour job.
    Daltonswife

Answer by Daltonswife at 9:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I never feel guilty. My job as the keeper of our home is just important as DF's job.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Do NOT self yourself short. You are contributing just as much as your husband is. Keep in mind that if YOU weren't doing what you were doing, HE couldn't be doing what he's doing, and vice versa.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I feel like that sometimes too. I feel like I could be doing much more some days, but on the other hand, I don't get a break on the weekends, so if I get a little time to sit and watch one of the many shows I tivo during the day, then I do! Although I try to still be doing something like wash the dishes or folding laundry while watching. My biggest problem is dragging myself out of bed earlier in the mornings! Over the past 6 years of being a SAHM, I have slowly gotten into getting up just a little later and later!! I am working on that though! And I also have a home business that I am building, so that takes up some of my time during the day. I sometimes feel bad for sitting at the computer when I should be vaccuuming or something, but I also want to help us out financially! Don't feel bad ~ we all deserve a little time for ourselves!!
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 9:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2010