how would have you reacted???

My son is in Kindy. I check him out every Thurs. for speech. He has been diagnosed with anxiety issues. I have brought the school a note from the doctor and spoke to the counselor. She was suppose to talk to him. She hasnt done it yet.

Today I bring my son back to school and he begans to cry. I turn to leave and he runs after me. Not out the gate like the teacher states. She grabs his arm and tells him he cant run out the gate and that I will have to leave him in the office from now on because his crying in ridiculus (SP). and give him a little shove to go play. I then state not nicely mind you. That he has a medical issue and I have asked the school for help and they wont help and walked off. I am now waiting for the counselor to call but havent heard anything so Im still po'd. What would you have done?

mandynjohnsmom

Asked by mandynjohnsmom at 3:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First off, I would not have left that school!!!! I would have marched my happy PO'd ass to the head principal and drug that teacher with me. I would have stated that I don't appreciate her grabbing my son like that and saying what she did in front of him! Then I would not "request" but demand that he be placed in a better environment with a different teacher. I would also explain that you have requested help from the school and have yet to hear a word. It is possible that your son may have issues with his atmosphere and just needs to be place somewhere a little more comfortable for him. Good Luck Momma Bear!!! Don't take any crap from that school.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Do not wait for them to call you. Go to their office and wait to see them. Ask for a conference with the teacher. The situation with the teacher sounds like you were both a little on edge. It happens to Moms and Teachers. Go into see them graciously. They are overworked and have lots to do. Ingratiate yourself to them. In this situation being nasty could get you to the wrong end. You want results so you might have to work hard to get it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Take him out & find another Preschool ASAP with Teachers who are kinder and more understanding. The smaller the class, the better. Good luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'd march myself to the principal/counselor's office, demand a talk right then, and not leave til I was satisfied.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would have taken my child and withdrew him.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• U did good!!! Schools these days r not doing their jobs!!! When was the counselor supposed to call u?? I would not wait for a phone call,I would show up at the school and do a face to face conuselor and u! No one else!! This is your child!!! We have to be like lions protecting our young. U have to be aware of what does and does not happen in that school where your child is concerned. U can message me if u want to talk.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• As someone who had really bad anxiety in school - and we never found out what it was until 9th grade.... the simplest things were incredibly hard to do, I wouldnt sleep until about 3 in the morning because I would lay awake all the time worrying about the next day, I would literally have a melt down at the thought of getting in trouble by a teacher or someone not being nice to me........

I mean usually when someone says something about anxiety it doesnt seem like such a hard thing... but it is...

If you live in an area where you can take him to another school district, you should look into it - go and talk to them and decide if you want your son to go there. Also they have online schooling you can do now from kindergarten to 12th grade ... I did that in 10th grade and it was great, I joined other activites, met more people than I knew at school, and after a year of doing it I was ready to go back to school.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 3:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Good grief... I would expect that K teachers would understand some children don't go to pre-school or daycare and may have trouble with mommy leaving! Should be a little more understanding and accepting and encourage your DS, not put him down and tell him his "crying is rediculous."

I'd find another teacher for that.

As far as the school not helping with a medical issue, I'd first file a complaint with the BOE, and if nothing is done, PRONTO, I'd be finding another school altogether.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• talking to the principal about all of it even the teacher grabbing your kids arm, if that doesn't work going to the superintendent, keep going up the ladder if you have to.
    mom2eas

Answer by mom2eas at 4:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• that makes me SO Sad to hear that, my son is being tested for anxiety issues also and that just breaks me... I'm SO sorry you have to deal with this
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2010