Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do ?

we live in a house that we have been renting for a little over a year. She lived here before we did and when we first looked at it it was pretty messy because she was moving out, she said we could fix it up and do what ever we want with it and that she will just make up a lease and bring it over next time she was in town...( she lives a little over an hour away now) ... well a year has passed and no lease, which now we kind of think is a good thing because we want to move whenever we do find something better.

So whenever we do have a problem we let her know, last January she had to get a new water heater because it was broken. She had it fixed right away... well 2 weeks ago we came into another problem and the pipes under the bathtub are leaking into the bathroom, so the floor under the tub is soaking wet and the driping fills an 18-gallon bucket a day ! I have called her 3 times and she keeps saying * continued*

Answer Question

Asked by 2lilbumblebees at 4:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 17 (4,121 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • If you can fix it and deduct it from your rent.

    Answer by goldengrl65 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • She will take care of it.....

    The first call I told her about it and she said to call her back, so I did and she said she called somewhere and they will call the next day to set up an appt. to come fix it....... 4 days passed and no phone call, so I called her to let her know no one called she said she would make sure they call.... that was last week and still no call, so last night I called and it rang like 3 times and you can tell someone hung up the phone, and then I called again ( thinking it was an accident, because i have done it ) but it rang twice and went to the voicemail...

    What would you assume from this and what would you do ?

    Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • Either fix it and deduct it or tell her that you are not able to fix it and she will have to make arrangements.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 4:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • well it already caused damage to the floor, you can push on it and the wood "squishes" in ... I imagen it would cost more to get the guys here than what we pay in rent..

    Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • Do this in writing. so that you have proof that you notified her of the damage that was being done.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 4:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • I don't know if this is the best idea, but what if you call her and tell her to not expect rent?

    Answer by mz_erica03 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • I would take pictures for sure send her something in writing and make a copy of it and I would document everytime I called her make a record so she can'tcome back on you for damages which she still could even without a lease I think

    Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.