Has anyone had to take anti-depressant Effexor while pregnant? How was the baby afterwards?

I am on effexor and lamitcal for manic bioploar. I was taking 150mg a day but now I am on 112.5mg for 1 week and then 75mg for week 2 and then tapering on down till I'm all the way off. I am being tapered off this medication but still have many worries because it's the first trimester and I have read so many things saying it does in fact cause birth defects. I also have read articles saying babies were born perfectly normal and healthy. I already tried going cold turkey and about lost my da^%$mn mind while during so!!! Please help!! Need peace of mind!!!

angelsentous

Asked by angelsentous at 4:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have NOT taken it while pregnant. However, I will warn you that when I did try it it was a horrid experience. My liver shut down within 12 hours of the first dose and I nearly died... My SIL took it and had horrifying hallucination... I have known quite a few that took it and it was never good... I too have BPD, and I am not currently medicated (while pregnant) but most doctors will tell you that treatment is better than not. I would however, suggest that due to the strength of this medication you talk to your doctor about either lowering your dose or switching you to something which carries less risk for your pregnancy.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2010