cookie problem help!!!!

I have been wanting to make cookies but don't really feel like it's really worth it. I am not sure if it's the oven or not. The first two apartments that dh and I lived in I had no trouble getting cookies to turn out perfect. The last two-including this one I end up with cake-like cookies! I do everything the same btw. Dh says it could be that we were using older baking soda/powder and it's not the ovens. I am wondering if it could be the oven. I need advice on how to solve this cookie mystery. Should I use less soda to see if it will rise less? If so, how much less should I use?

tickled_pink09

Asked by tickled_pink09 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Try one of those air-bake cookie sheets. Also with margarine you'll get more cake-like puffy cookies than if you use butter. Try buying those tubes of pre-made cookie dough, bake them and see how they turn out.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Baking soda is the cheapest ingredient, just go get more. You should replace it ever few months for freshness.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• In the first two apartments the powders were older. It happened when we got newer..it's odd.
    tickled_pink09

Comment by tickled_pink09 (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Are you possibly using a soft butter substitute? A different brand of flour than you used before? These can also cause problems. Replace baking powder or soda if it's more than 6 months old, but having said that, being old would not make them rise more, or be more cake like. Do you have a thermometer to check your oven? If not, bake a can of refrigerated biscuits-if they come out ok in the time that it says on the tube, then it's a pretty safe bet that the oven is cooking at the temperature as it should. I would have to see your recipe and your ingredients to really help you..
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I am using margarine
    tickled_pink09

Comment by tickled_pink09 (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• did you use real butter, or spread/margarine? If you use margarine, it has to be a certain percent veggie oil or the cookies won't ever firm up.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 4:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• yeah. margarine is the problem. get real butter, unsalted.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 4:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• It made them rise more when we had fresh--which has been these past two apartments. I never thought about the flour. I am pretty sure we have changed that over the years according to what is cheaper at the time.
    tickled_pink09

Comment by tickled_pink09 (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I used marg. before and fine so I wonder if maybe I was using the sticks before instead of the softened..would that make difference. Stick verses non sticked marg.
    tickled_pink09

Comment by tickled_pink09 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We have had the sticks before but not sure if that was the time i made cookies...but it's very possible.
    tickled_pink09

Comment by tickled_pink09 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2010