How do you feel about the language barrier in the United States?

1. Everyone should learn the same language.
2. People should embrace being bi-lingual, like in many other countries.
3. I don't care.
4. Other opinion (tell us what your opinion is).

Last, tell us why!

I'll give you a little bit of background: I live in eastern Washington State, and we have an insane amount of Mexican immigrants here, primarily because we live in an agricultural area, and we provide a TON of jobs. Well, a lot of the schools are teaching both english and spanish and I had a lady freak out on me today (at day care) because she didn't want her child learning spanish in a school in America. I told her that my daughter is two and speaks both languages because I feel it will benefit her in the long run. The lady got super offended and told me she would be pissed if my kid got a job and hers didn't because my daughter speaks spanish. :-|

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I personally don't speak Spanish, have honestly have no desire to learn. We speak English and only English in my household.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Definitely #2. We're the only country in the world who is too arrogant to learn another language from childhood. I learned Spanish as an adult, because I wanted to and I love being able to communicate in another language. In some countries, people can speak 3-4 languages because of the region they live in. I think that is so cool!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I didn't know there was a "Language Barrier" I've never met anyone that didn't speak English... Even the few that spoke other languages, always spoke English as well...

And just on a note, I have yet to meet a single person that spoke Spanish... Polish, Chinese, Russian... But never once Spanish!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well, it honestly doesn't bother me at all to "press 1 for English", and since English isn't even the official language of the US, I'm not sure what the big deal is. Ideally, yes, I do believe everybody should make an effort to learn English, but I also believe that people benefit from being bi- or multi-lingual. Where I'm from, we actually are required to take 4 different languages in high school, and in order to graduate we need to be fluent in all of them.... How does it hurt to expand your horizons some?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I wish that we could be more like other countries and be bi-lingual. We are a melting pot of culturals. Why should we ask someone to learn our language if they don't to? I am bi-lingual myself. I know english and sign language. I can also read braille. I know a bit of spanish as well and I am teaching myself Italian. I am hoping to make my son fluent in other languages than English (he is working on sign language and italian right now and he is only 18months). I think its very important to learn other language to get a sense of the world around you... why not explore it through language?
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 4:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Oh and my 2 year old is bilingual already (Spanish/English).
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I too have zero desire to learn Spanish however I know French and German and I try and tell the girls words in those languages as well as english.
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Put it this way, if I were to move to another country, I would make damn sure I learned the language that was spoke there. Yeah, yeah, yeah... English isn't our official language, we have none, but it is the language that we speak.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Sabrina...you've never met a person who spoke Spanish or Chinese? Where do you live?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• But would you be fluent before you move? Or is learning a language (especially as an adult) a lengthy, ongoing process?

I definately think kids in the US should, at the very least, be presented with the opportunity to learn additional languages as young children. Languages open up doors to learning about our world.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 4:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2010