Baby Sign Language

Does anyone know sign language? Has any tried this on their child? Found it effective?
Thoughts on using sign language on babies or toddlers for speech development?

KitKatCadillac

Asked by KitKatCadillac at 4:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I do not know sign language myself, but my friend had a baby with Down's Syndrome and she found it VERY effective in communicating with her daughter at a young age, and later as well with developmental delays in speech. I imagine it would be effective for all young children.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 4:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Works wonders. I used it at the daycare I worked at. I used small basic signs and one kid that hadn't talked yet finally did the minutes I did this. It helps.

I will use it with my future kids from birth. It also helps with reading later...because, they learn to associate a sign with a word the same way they will learn to associate letters as a word.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Yes, I have found it very effective on my son as well. I actually took a sign language course in my college right after he was born so I could teach him some signs. I now continue with my studies with sign language at home and have become very fluent. I taught many of the basic need signs to my son and it has made communicating much easier. He LOVES the sign for "more" haha. It has also helped him with speech as well. I think that this is a GREAT thing for children to be taught. It works wonders on child who might have speech delays.
    KitKatCadillac

Comment by KitKatCadillac (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I've only done basic basic signs w my kids....please more eat drink...works great!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 4:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I have a close friend that's deaf, she naturally uses sign language to communicate with her children, her 7 yr old son can sign as well as she can, and her 8 month old baby girl understands and uses it. It's an amazing thing to watch. I think the younger the better to learn it. Children are like little sponges, so teaching them at a young age is so much easier... I think teaching proper sign language is important and not just hand motions, so that when they are older they can still use it when needed.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I use it with my baby. It is very useful. This is also how they taught my autistic son to talk. He didn't seem to understand words, but when they paired it with signs, it seemed to click. He now speaks fairly well. However, when he is frustrated, he still signs.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2010