Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just saw my college counselor - does this sound right?

My end result is social work, for the county is what I am aiming for. He said my major is psychology. Besides my general ed classes, he said to take Psych 101. I'm no genius but wouldn't a degree in sociology make more sense?


Asked by Orionsgirl at 4:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in

Level 31 (48,442 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • Mine too. Well I guess the other thing that you should factor in is what do you want to do with your degree. For me, I plan on getting an LMFT (Liscensed marriage and family therapist) after my masters so in that case I would go with psychology. If you want to be a social worker for cps you might want to go for child and family education.... it just depends I guess.

    Answer by Namaste17 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • Did you ask him that?

    Answer by tootoobusy at 4:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • Technically that would be correct. Social work is kind of...well know branch, but limb of psychology. But it does have a basis in Psych work. I only know this because I am a Psych major and my advisor told me this. It eventually branches off into its own category and doesn't require as much training and extensive degrees.

    Answer by KitKatCadillac at 4:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • *not a branch... Sorry, I can't type today.

    Answer by KitKatCadillac at 4:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • Actually, psych would make sense. A lot of social workers go on to get a master's degree and then work as counselors/therapists, and the psych degree helps prepare for that. Idk, ask your counselor what his thinking is for this.

    Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • You could have either for what you are aiming. However at my university, there was a degree called Rehabilitative Sciences, with concentrations in gerientology (working with elderly), substance abuse, or early childhood. I worked a few years in learning centers, then spent 5 years in mental health as a counselor with special ed children and adolescents. So look into if you college has this kind of degree. It is more rounded.

    Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • Come to think of it, some schools have actual social work degrees and classes

    Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • I'm going to school for the same thing. Either way your going to have to take a ton of both psychology and soiology classes, but I think you're right needing more sociology classes than psychology classes.

    Does your school have a human services program? That is what I am majoring in for my associates and all of the credits should transfer over for a B.A. in social work.

    Answer by Namaste17 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • oh, but let me clarify... I didn't pick psych because human serives is basically social work.

    Answer by Namaste17 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

  • totobusy - as with all intelligent questions it did not hit me until I got home, so no.
    I did just get off the phone with the 4 yr university I would be transferring too and they said either would be fine. I can get my BA in sociology then transfer to get my Masters in Social work.

    Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN