Just saw my college counselor - does this sound right?

My end result is social work, for the county is what I am aiming for. He said my major is psychology. Besides my general ed classes, he said to take Psych 101. I'm no genius but wouldn't a degree in sociology make more sense?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 4:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in

• Mine too. Well I guess the other thing that you should factor in is what do you want to do with your degree. For me, I plan on getting an LMFT (Liscensed marriage and family therapist) after my masters so in that case I would go with psychology. If you want to be a social worker for cps you might want to go for child and family education.... it just depends I guess.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Did you ask him that?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Technically that would be correct. Social work is kind of...well know branch, but limb of psychology. But it does have a basis in Psych work. I only know this because I am a Psych major and my advisor told me this. It eventually branches off into its own category and doesn't require as much training and extensive degrees.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 4:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• *not a branch... Sorry, I can't type today.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 4:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Actually, psych would make sense. A lot of social workers go on to get a master's degree and then work as counselors/therapists, and the psych degree helps prepare for that. Idk, ask your counselor what his thinking is for this.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• You could have either for what you are aiming. However at my university, there was a degree called Rehabilitative Sciences, with concentrations in gerientology (working with elderly), substance abuse, or early childhood. I worked a few years in learning centers, then spent 5 years in mental health as a counselor with special ed children and adolescents. So look into if you college has this kind of degree. It is more rounded.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Come to think of it, some schools have actual social work degrees and classes
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm going to school for the same thing. Either way your going to have to take a ton of both psychology and soiology classes, but I think you're right needing more sociology classes than psychology classes.

Does your school have a human services program? That is what I am majoring in for my associates and all of the credits should transfer over for a B.A. in social work.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• oh, but let me clarify... I didn't pick psych because human serives is basically social work.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• totobusy - as with all intelligent questions it did not hit me until I got home, so no.
    I did just get off the phone with the 4 yr university I would be transferring too and they said either would be fine. I can get my BA in sociology then transfer to get my Masters in Social work.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2010