How old is too old to have a baby?

....and does the same age go for adoption. If your too old to have a baby are you too old to adopt? Or is "too old" apply for health reasons.

IMO if your too old to have one, you shouldn't be raising one. God gave you a time limit to re-produce which probably is "her" way of telling you you shouldn't raise anymore babies.... OK, maybe a little far fetched here

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jul. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• I'm 45 with a 12 month old son and a 15 year old daughter. I have been married to the same man for 20 years. I love my life!
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 1:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Age is only a number. In my opinion anyone under 17 is too young to have a baby, and honestly anyone aver 65 is too old to be raising kids. But it's done everyday. It depends on the person doing it, theier physical ability to get around and their financial ability to provide for the kids.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:53 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Well I guess it depends on the person.I just remember a friend of mine from nursing school whose mother had her late in life, mid 40's I believe, and her mother never really got to enjoy her early teen and teenage years because of health problems due to her age. My friend always had to walk on eggshells because "Mama is old" or so she heard from her brothers and sisters, she didn't get to enjoy her mother the way her brothers and sisters did.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Tell that to my mother. She's now 62 and she and her hubby adopted an infant two months before my twins were born (they will all be turning three later this year). Her daughter and my sons are in daycare together. It's great!

Have your opinion....but keep it to yourself.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 1:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I had my daughter (only child) at 40 and often wonder if I'll be around to see her grow up. I think if your nearing 50, you might be too old to have your own or adopt. You want to be around long enough to watch them grow up.
    Jesstsilly

Answer by Jesstsilly at 2:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Who are we to judge anyone who has the appropriate environment and wants to raise a child? This question kills me..
    Anonymous

• i'm glad you aren't my granny. she was 60 or so when my mom left us and we raised us. and i turned out damn fine, if i do say so myself.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 3:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• For me personally, anything over 30 is too old to have more children. In general, I would say the 40s.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:30 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• It's an individual's call. Some children wouldn't have any parent at all if someone kind (and "older") didn't adopt them. Personally, I would want to see my children on their own and to have them after 40 would make me less comfortable that I would. So, with those thoughts in mind, I think it is more a matter of the individuals physical, mental, emotional and financial fitness than age.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• In my opinion... in my opinion... in my OPINION... I think that having a child at an old age is irresponsible and selfish. You won't be able to do the same things with your kids as a young mom would. My husbands dad was like 56 when he had my husband and he hated it growing up, not a big deal now but still.
    Anonymous