Do you think his parents are over-reacting call CPS on us? Will CPS even listen to them? Help please!!

I was called into the nursery today as my daughter had been fighting with another child. The nursery teacher called me to her and told me that they had been MUTUALLY fighting and that he had fallen off the climbing frame and has broken his arm after she had hit him back. She told the same story to the other family yet they got very upset and started screaming at me and my husband and told us that they would be calling CPS as a daughter who is that violent is obviously the product of seeing it at home. What can we do? Will CPS even listen to them? Even the nursery teacher thinks it's ridiculous as he was the one mainly fighting and yes my daughter should not hit back but she's 3 and it was self-defence. We have talked to her about it and she has said that he called her very naughty words etc. I don't think this is grounds to call CPS. Do you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They sound like they are angry and grasping for anything to "hurt" you back with.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I personally don't think so . It'd be interesting what words the boy was using and "picking up from home". Now that....might be something to call in to cps;)

But after dealing with them through foster care, I would highly encourage you to lawyer up immediately if they actually made the call. The cps can be a very power hungry, unjust system. Watch out and be prepared.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 5:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. Let them call CPS, then you can tell CPS the story, and have the teacher from the nursery tell them the exact same thing she told you and the other family. Your daughter defended herself, that's FAR from being violent child.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• if the your child was 8 or older than I think they would have a case but not at 3 unless this is one of many issues but even then 3 is to young to hold blame to let alone hold parents accountable for their actions. Your 3yr old could have very well seen another kid hit back and decided to do the same even then at this age they can say and do things simply out of anger and it would be ruled off as being a 3 yr old nothing more. They are still learning right from wrong and when they are angered they are still experiencing ways to deal with it. Goodluck
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 5:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• When and if CPS comes. Act normal. Answer their questions and tell them what happened. Make sure they go talk to the nursery teacher too.

Answer by louise2 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would have been a smart ass and told them that since their son started it and she was only acting in self deffence that you will also be calling cps on them so that their child can be properly taken care of.

But yes they are over reacting. They just want someone to take responcability for their childs broken arm.
    Anonymous

• Do as Louise stated, AND don't forget to record any, and all conversations. Send a typed out copy to offices for them to sign agreeing that that was what was said. If they don't return signed in 30 days, then it's considered fact. Atleast that's what I remember learning. You truly want to document Everthing with the cps......Please
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 6:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Why shouldn't your daughter hit back?
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• If CPS comes to see you (which I doubt) I would talk to them politely and ask them to speak with the teacher. Since she was the adult there she's much better to explain this than a couple irate parents (his, not you).

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Trust me you DON'T want CPS in your business they like to put children in foster care and run the parents through the system to fight for them back even if you did nothing wrong but someone lied on you.
    Anonymous