Healing takes faith...

So I just finished watching this documentary about Healing around the world and through different cultures. And while even I found a few of the techniques to be a bit "different" I found one thing they said to be really interesting...

One of the points made was that even "western" medicine requires some level or faith to work. You call the doctor because you have the faith that they have some form of knowledge or understanding about your ailment that you do not and that they may have the answers you seek... You wouldn't allow someone to cut in to your body if you didn't have faith that they knew what they were doing... And you wouldn't take a pill full of chemicals if you didn't have faith that they were going to actually fix your issue...

The idea was that while we see these cultural medicine or faith healing techniques as odd or taboo, even our cultural NORM of western medicine takes similar types of faith.

Your thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• absolutely agree! Our pastor will do healing services but in order to be healed one must first have Faith that he/she can be healed. Much of this faith is through positive confession. Also, one must act on their faith. For example, if someone goes up to be healed of an ache in their foot, they must get up an walk and confess that they are healed. Does this make sense, lol!! It's our faith in the healing power of Jesus that heals us and there are several scriptures reflect it and support it.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Personally I tend to look for natural answers long before I call the doctor. But I have a much greater faith in nature than I do in medical science... However, I don't have a great faith in "faith healing" or "laying on of hands" or anything like that over medicinal treatments... SO I guess I'm in the middle... But I found it really interesting when they were talking about "modern medicine" requiring faith as much as other practices did... I honestly had never thought about it...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• That's an interesting idea, but I really don't think it's the same. I visit a doctor because they have been educated in the human body, ailments, and medications, not because I "believe" they will heal me. But I do believe there is something to faith healing and energy healing and that the recipient has better results when they either believe in it or at least are open to the idea.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Well, they said it better than I think I did, but the point was that you go to the doctor because you have the faith that they have that better knowledge - even if they don't always, you have the faith that they do... Just like those who use faith healers or shamans have a faith that they have some higher knowledge as well...

It was the idea that you have the faith that they have something you don't - or you wouldn't go to them in the first place.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I'm not saying I'm not for medical treatments and those also require the same kind of faith. I was just relating it to faith healing. Much of our daily lives revolve around faith to some extent. For example, when you go out to eat the restaurant has faith that you'll pay and vice versa when you order food from a take out window (you pay and have faith that you'll get your food). So, to have faith in our medical doctors works the same. We have faith that they know what they are doing and have our best interest in mind and have been educated in the subject. It's an expectation. Our faith is elevated by how much experience the doctor has. If he/she is an expert our faith is higher than if he/she is fresh out of medical school. Make sense, lol!! Anyway, that's my 2 cents..or maybe 10 cents :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• THE most powerful drug on the face of the planet is encapsulated in our own over-sized, underused brains. I have faith in my body's own ability to heal its self- and in the availability of chemical substances which trigger a chemical reaction which in turn aides in the healing process. "Healing" is most definitely faith based, which is why placebos have the same general % of success (with a small differential margin).
    I would like to add that "faith" in no way denotes a particular religious path.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• It was the idea that you have the faith that they have something you don't - or you wouldn't go to them in the first place.--

agreed.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't say it was faith, especially when the diplomas hanging on the office wall are proof that the doctor has the required knowledge and training.  I would call it trust.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• That is an interesting spin on it- we do look at other cultures as backwards and forget their goals are similar yet different- our idea of a good life may be different-but in the end we all want a good life. As far as faith in healing- I never thought of it the way presented but there are some good points being made- placebo's, alternate healing methods, etc.... I can say accupuncture would not work for me because I would never get the guts up to actually try it- how can I be healed by it when I would not even try it- that it is not on my list of remedies yet there are others where that would be their first course of action- does that make it odd or not a viable option-NO, it is just not my option. Is that what you are driving at- things seem backward to us because we don't have the belief that they would work, when if we actually tried it-it actually could?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I don't know if I would call it faith, but our attitude certainly helps to have better healing, and thing is, sometimes people of faith have a different view of their illness and a more positive approach. I saw this recently with my mil, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Thank G-d it was discovered rather soon and she had a mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. She's clean now. But her attitude during her illness was admirable. From the start she accepted her illness as something G-d gave her that she had to get through. She had the faith that would be all right and she was gonna beat it. She didn't even experience side effects from the chemo, she has been active and feeling OK since the beginning. IMHO, her attitude contributed not only to her recovery but to the lack of side effects.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2010