My doctor wants to put me on Zoloft, which is an antidepressant. I'm not really sure how I feel about it though. Has anyone else taken an antidepressant pregnant?

I'm having a lot of anxiety and bouts of emotional roller coasters. I don't have a lot of motivation for much for right now. My aunt passed away in a car accident a few accident. My dad passed away when I was 12 and my mom passed away a couple years ago (a few weeks after my son was born). My aunt was like a 3rd parent to me and a grandmother to my son so I'm going through a rough time, but i don't know if I'm comfortable with taking Zoloft pregnant.

britthoch2010

Asked by britthoch2010 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I took that but not when I was pregnant. Its a great thing when you need it and they would not have given it to you if it was harmful to the baby. I am sorry for everything that you have gone through. Just keep your head up and remember you are going to have a bundle of joy coming into your life. There are a lot of moms on here that you can talk to im sure. They might even have a group set up for it. Hope things get better for you and best of luck.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Yes,. I took Celexa while pregnant. Sometimes the stress and anxiety is harder for your pregnancy and your baby than taking an anti depressant
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I was on prozac when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter. She turned out okay. When it comes to a lot of antidepressants or other medications, the benefits outweighing the risks always come into play and if your doctor is going to closely monitor you and your baby and you think you need it, then do what you have to do. Stress and depression are not good for your baby either.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I took it, but not while pregnant... However, I will tell you from experience, you being depressed or manic is going to be more of a danger to your baby and yourself than the medication.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i took welburtrin while pregnant.. but i had to get off of it after two weeks cause it made me horny as shit and my husband had just left me. i'd rather but a little sad than horny and nothing to do about it!
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 5:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• if there are no side effects I would. I want to actaually talk to my dr about it. cause my bf got laid off after 4 yrs, I got fired in july, had 2 jobs now only have one. at 25 hours bi weekly, my emotions are driving EVERYONE crazy..... good luck.. to you..
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 6:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I would not do it! If you are feeling suicidal then I would recommend something natural. Even a very very small amount of marijuana would be better than taking a chemical drug like zoloft. Oh and just saying from experience....Zoloft doesn't work...or it didn't for me. It made things worse and I felt better when I got off of it. Anti depressants are not good. I would strongly suggest not taking anything. Especially while you are pregnant. Unless you feel so bad you want to end your life. And it sounds like you still care about it and care about your baby so that to me is a strong sign that you are gonna be ok. Bless your heart for all you have been through.My dad died when I was 12 too. But I am still blessed to have my mother. I'm sorry you have to go through all this.
    LoveFaithPeace

Answer by LoveFaithPeace at 7:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I call Zoloft my "I don't give a sh_t medicine"...I was put on it at the beginning of my 2nd pregnancy when we first bought our house, husband quit his job, and they didn't want me to miscarry due to all the ups and downs...they put me on 100mg once a day...since then, I have gone up to 200mg then am currently back on 100mg daily. Took them thru my 3rd pregnancy and have had no problems with either baby! I have just learned that you cannot stop Zoloft cold turkey...you need Dr to help wean you off or you will have severe headaches, nausea, possibly suicidal if you quit suddenly. Personally, I love it. It really helps the mood swings.
    deedle74

Answer by deedle74 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I'm not too into meds. If you can make it without you are always better off - but if you can't you can't.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 2:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2010