buying a car - whats the best way to buy a car at the out the door price quoted?

first time buyer of a mini van. got a price quoted from the dealer over the phone including destination charge, tax, dmv charge, etc. but i've been told that once you go to the dealership, they make you buy certain options, etc. that increase the final price. what can i do before i get to the dealership to ensure that i do purchase the car at the out the door price they quoted? thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2010 in Shopping

• I've always paid LESS than the sticker price. I just negotiate and stand firm.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• When we bought our car last time, I went and looked with my husband and then I went home. He was probably there at least 4 or 5 additional hours. He was able to get them down about $3500 more. The extras you just decide upfront that you will say no and you keep saying no. They will bring other people in to convince you to pay way too much for things you do not need and are not worth it. Just keep saying no. Do not let yourself get weak and talked into it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Edmunds.com has some really good articles on car buying.

This one is pretty good. Long, but worth the read.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/125308/article.html
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Do you have a down payment? We bought a new 2011 Hyundia Sonata in August. Sticker price was 27,000. Walked out after 3500 down payment and 2500 off it the new car. They really like talking with people who have down payments.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Is there anyone you can take with you who's done it before? Once you find the vehicle you want, have YOUR mechanic take a look at it (if it's a used car).
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 6:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2010